Appleton, MN area snow depth after the blizzard

trailrunners

My Dad and I were planning on giving the Appleton, MN area a try this weekend for pheasants. I live in Duluth and he's in Wisconsin. Wondering if anyone knows how much snow they got in the blizzard? I don't think he wants to go if the snow is too deep.

Neither of us has hunted that area before. Any tips on places to hit? It looks like a lot of public land in the Lac Qui Parle for sure. Can you hunt for pheasants in the goose zone now without having to contact someone from the DNR prior to entering that area? Any tips or advice on SW Minnesota hunting would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

My guess is around 10" total, tougher but still accessible in many areas. Wind filled in the brome grass completely. Cattails are holding the birds. once your in them the walking is OK. the edges are blown deeper. you will have to pick and choose where you can go. I like to see where the birds are in fields now, as you can spot them easy now, then get permission or hunt those areas. If you see no sign of scratching or tracks now you are not in a good area.

I drove through that area Sunday afternoon on my way back from SD and there is plenty of snow. Anything that could catch snow did. High spots have blown off. Looked like tough walking to me.

Thanks a lot for the replies! Much appreciated!

My Dad has decided not to go with me this weekend. Too much snow and a long drive from Wisconsin for him. My son has a basketball tourney that I want to catch on Saturday (in Pine City) and I'm planning on heading south right after that. I need to get my girl out (4 yr old GSP with one eye - lost her left eye to blastomycosis last year)!

So, since I'll only be hunting on Sunday, I've decided to stay a LITTLE closer to home and hunt in the Atwater/Litchfield area, maybe over as far as Willmar. Looks like several nice little WPA's (Harvey Lake, Hanson Lake, Acton, Uncle Matt's, Summit Lake, Ella Lake, Grass Lake, Meeker, Bjur, Burr Oak Lake) in that area I might hit up. Also a few WMA's. Anyone hunt those areas with any advice for a first timer to that area? Honey holes would be appreciated!:):cheers:

Thanks again everyone, this is a great forum!

TR

Don't forget there are several good spots a little closer in Kanabec, Pine and Mille Lacs counties! Would save you a drive.

Back