Anyone hunting the sloughs yet?

birdshooter

Just wondering if anyone has been out the last couple days with all the cold weather. wondering if the sloughs are froze up enough to walk.

I was out sat. in sw jackson co. some spots could hold the dogs but not enough for a person yet! Soon we should be blastin em out of the sloughs!

Not thick enough ice in Lac qui Parle county yet. We were hoping that it would be, but we were still breaking through. Thick enough for the birds to be running through there though.

I can't get out until Sunday. Let's hope the heavy snow tomorrow misses most of the pheasant range. With cold and no snow cover most should be walkable in the next few days.

Well... some of the sloughs are froze enough to walk on, however I would think twice about walking across creeks just yet. Don't be fooled by the seemingly solid looking ice. And don't ask me how I know this either......:eek:

New to forum, just got back from 2nd trip to south dakota. In total this year in sd we shot 125 roosters, 75 first trip and 50 2nd trip.....birds were alot more skittish the 2nd trip even without any snow. All the sloughs in sd are pretty froze, 3-6 inches of ice, except in the really heavy cattails, I found that one out the hard way after going up to my waist in freezing water. Didn't find a lot of birds in the sloghs yet though due to no snow, so they are still in the thick crp. The birds are bunching up though, when you found one you would typically find 30-40 bird flushes. All in all it was a great year in sd couldn't have asked for more. Hoping mn late season is as good as early season, we limited out opening weekend both days by noon for 5 guys, went out 2 wknds ago during snow storm and me and a buddy limited out in 3 hrs out by madelia. Once the sloughs freeze over we will be back out in sw mn to give it another shot. Would try sooner but the dogs need a rest after 5 days in sd. Good luck to everyone!

Back