Anyone Going Dove Hunting?

I know it's not really hunting, it's shooting. But it's a custom, a tradition in some parts of the country that brings the generations of friends & families together. I know a lot of guys who don't really hunt any other birds all year long, but they'll get out opening day surrounded by pickup trucks w/ beer coolers inside & blow through 4 boxes of shells trying to get a limit. I shoot all year long so I don't have quite the itch for opening day that I used to, but I haven't missed one since I got out of the Army 20 yrs ago & this will be the 1st yr. in a long time one of my boys will be around to go.

Here's something worth trying. Take a ziplock bag of marinade in your cooler & a portable stove. Clean a dozen birds as you shoot them & drop them in the bag. When shooting hrs. close, wrap the breasts w/ a slice of ham & stick a toothpick through to hold it. Just a few minutes on the stove & you've got tailgate dove poppers. It makes a good opening day memory.

@Nimrod - mmh, mmh, MMH, I hear ya - u r makin me hungry!!!

Traditionally, we usually do all the wingshooting on the front end of Labor Day Wknd & then throw a combo end-of summer pool party & dove feast to celebrate the harvest on Monday afternoon with all the wives, kids, & friends...But u r right, onsite is a great place to grill up the day's fresh bounty & shoot the breeze with good companions while watching the sun set over yet another great day afield - any food (especially wild game) always tastes better outdoors!!! :thumbsup:

Here's My Favorite Dove Recipe (& It's A Simple One Too):
Simply pop out the breasts & cut a slit/pocket on each side along the centerbone that divides...marinate in Wishbone Italian or any vinagrette...Cut up small slivers of Jack Cheese & either bell peppers (for the sissies) or jalepenos (for the more adventurous), and then put a sliver of each in both side pockets of every breast...Top it off by cutting bacon slices into thirds & laying 1/3 on top of each marinaded breast over the cheese & pepper...Put em' on the grill face-up (who cares if you burn the bone on the bottom a little, doesn't hurt or dry the meat on top)...& WALLAH, there you have it - YUMMY!!!

Now look what you went & done - you got me thinkin about throwin in all the ingredients, some lawn chairs, a hibachi, a cooler full of European beverages & a few ears of corn + a couple homegrown tomatoes for A Labor Day Wknd Fieldside Tailgate Extrordinaire!!! :cheers:

Wooh-Hooh, the first little missile/rocket kickoff of all the hunting seasons is only weeks away!!! :10sign:

Back