Anyone finding ammo in the off-season?

brown dog

Curious as to what you're all finding? I personally do not need any...but I have started to see various boxes here and there of all makes in the stores. Prices are high...but they are available depending on what you're shooting. $30 bucks a box for prairie storm and the extended range rems....mid 20's for Kent and the higher grade winchesters. If you're looking and not having luck send me a PM with a phone number. I would drop ship if I see anything available to help someone out.

For some strange reason my local wallyworld has dozens of 3/4 oz fed. 28 gauge. Maybe I caused it because several months ago I saw for the 1st time they were stocking them for 10.00 and .410s also. I bought them all. The 28's are now 12.00.. wierd..

There is still a lack of high velocity 12 gauge shotgun shells at the stores I frequent. Most of other types of ammo has come back to full stock now except this.

I'm located in Minnesota. I have looked at Cabela's, Scheels (2), and Runnings (2). Luckily in January, Reeds in Walker had an online stock of Prairie Storm so I bought a few boxes and had them shipped. The price had gone up and I had to pay for shipping, but its exactly what I wanted. I'll be good for a couple seasons now again.

If you're frustrated by not finding what you're looking for online, don't be afraid to stop into an actual store.
Eg: Scheels online recently showed none of some shells I was after. Figured I'd stop into the store, & they had 5-6 cases.
I called Scheels in Sioux Falls last week and they had a bunch of 16 ga. Winchester target loads in #8 shot of which I was looking for. But, they wanted $17.99/box. I'm not that desperate yet. :) I also stopped by Fleet Farm in Sioux Falls and they had a lot of shotgun shells but I didn't see any 16 ga. A5, if you find any 16 ga. in #8 shot at a reasonable price let me know.

For some strange reason my local wallyworld has dozens of 3/4 oz fed. 28 gauge. Maybe I caused it because several months ago I saw for the 1st time they were stocking them for 10.00 and .410s also. I bought them all. The 28's are now 12.00.. wierd..
Please tell me your Walmart is in Minnesota!!! Looking for 28 gauge loads!

It's gotten a lot better in general for shotshells. I've been seeing a lot more Fiocchi in both target and game shells, and I'm glad to see them filling the void somewhat. I don't know for certain, but with Federal especially it seems that some of their hunting shells are seasonal production runs. I know that a few years ago I was looking for pheasant shells in December in MN and there were some available but it was clear many options were out of stock for the season. I wouldn't expect to see many prairie storm or Winchester Rooster XR loads in stock until late summer. Just my guess.

If you're frustrated by not finding what you're looking for online, don't be afraid to stop into an actual store.
Eg: Scheels online recently showed none of some shells I was after. Figured I'd stop into the store, & they had 5-6 cases.
Yes. Many retail stores stopped selling online because they cant keep up. Scheels, Runnings etc. Gotta go in.

Handloading supplies are equally difficult to find here in Mich. Primers are the most difficult, going for about $100.00/1000 if u can find them. Shotshell powder is nearly as scarce…going for $40.00/pound. I can get lead shot at $50.00/bag, and wads are easy to find. Cost for handloading target loads now $9-10/box.
Don’t see it getting better any time soon.

Special shotgun ammo (Hevi-shot, Boss, Bismuth, etc.) are still ridiculously overpriced, if you could find them. Our local Wal Mart has Winchester Super Target #8's in 12 and 20 gauge for$8.48/box. They also have 1 ounce Federal (blue Box) loads (#7 1/2) in 12 gauge for $9.43. If you have a Rural King close by, you might check there--our local RK has 20 gauge "Competition" loads--new company to me-- 7/8 ounce of #8's for $7.99/box. Our Wal Mart always seems to have the Federal Top Gun 28 gauge loads for around$12.50/box on hand.

Was in the Scheels in Sioux City today, shotshells, pheasant loads were on the shelf, no limit. Handgun and rifle ammo shelves were full. Large rifle primers only and very little powder. I saw the Pheasant Max Plus 1.375 oz #5 shot my buddy uses were in stock, $17.99, they had the Pheasant Max 1.25 oz, the normal pheasant loads were also there and at least one PS offering.

Cabela's and Midwest Gun Works both have Browning BXD Upland in stock right now. $27.99 at Cabela's and $20.99 at Midwest.

Seeing more and more hunting loads showing up for sale. Fingers crossed that trend continues and pricing keeps moving lower.

Seeing more and more hunting loads showing up for sale. Fingers crossed that trend continues and pricing keeps moving lower.
I too hope it continues. My wife always said I had too much ammo, I always thought I had an appropriate amount but after the last couple years I'm going full blown hoarder status on any good deals I come across for a while. I'll prove her right!

The Scheels stores in Sioux City and Sioux Falls have been well stocked lately. I passed on some 209 Cheddite primers in Sioux City a couple weeks ago and I'm really kicking myself for that.

Back