Anyone ever use a SD Outfitter?

Pheasant

I will soon start planning a SD trip for October 2019 with 3 buddies. Since I have no clue where the best place to go and stay if I hunted public land, I am leaning toward 3 days and 4 nights at an outfitter then 3 days hunting public land once I get the lay of the land and talk to some people at the Lodge.

Any recommendations on a top notch outfitter?

They are very expensive so I need to choose wisely.

I will be using my own dog. I mainly want some top notch hunting with room, board, and beers at the outfitter Lodge.

Thanks!

Here's a sample of three outfitters that offer - room and board and three day's of hunting: $2400, $3795, $7295. Add tax and gratuity.

If you google SD Outfitters; or Pheasant Hunting,SD you'll find a wide range of offerings. Perhaps you could tell us what your budget is and the time of year you wish to hunt?

Good Luck!

Here's a sample of three outfitters that offer - room and board and three day's of hunting: $2400, $3795, $7295. Add tax and gratuity.

If you google SD Outfitters; or Pheasant Hunting,SD you'll find a wide range of offerings. Perhaps you could tell us what your budget is and the time of year you wish to hunt?

Good Luck!

Here is what I am looking for:

1. Room and Board (nice lodge for after hunting war stories and drinking a few beers)

2. Day one place to hunt with plenty of birds. I don't want to waste time looking for a parcel to hunt my first day or two.

3. Not have to compete with other SD experienced hunters for a good hunting spot.

4. A place that will take small groups - will have 2 - 4 guys with two dogs.

What I don't need:

1. An outfitter's dog. 90% of the fun is hunting over my dog I trained.

2. A guide. Not sure why I would need a guide? I just someone to point and say go hunt in that direction and hit those fields. I want to hunt, not have a guide tell me where the birds are most likely gathered.

After 3 days of hunting on an outfitter ranch, I would then drive around and try to find a good open to public spot as I won't feel the pressure of shooting that first bird and if I waste a day searching all is not lost.

You can have a good hunt for far less than that. A lot of guys pay a trespass fee around $150 to 250 per hunter per day and stay at a motel near by. Like the man said Google south Dakota pheasant hunting and you'll find 100's places.

If you want some excellent hunting on 100% wild roosters check out Johannsen Farms Outfitting. http://johannsenfarms.com/ It's maybe not as fancy as you are looking for but still a very nice place with great people and great hunting. They are getting $425/day for hunting. Lodging in a very nice updated double wide is $50/night. For an additional $125/day you can get home cooked meals and I'm hear to tell you that Mrs. Johannsen is an amazing cook and will feed you very well. You will have to bring your beers. This is a family run farm that farms for the pheasants. I've personally known this family for many years and you could not go wrong gong there. Ask for Eric and tell him George from Watertown referred you.

You can have a good hunt for far less than that. A lot of guys pay a trespass fee around $150 to 250 per hunter per day and stay at a motel near by. Like the man said Google south Dakota pheasant hunting and you'll find 100's places.

Yea, finding someone with a big farm that would do a trespass fee would be cool. Google searches mostly bring up professional outfitters. Someone told me ND has a lot less hunting pressure and I might want to think about going there, but from Detroit, SD is plenty far.

If I was closer to SD I would spend a weekend scouting and try to nail down a private place to hunt, but am a 15 hour drive away. That is why I am thinking outfitter, mostly so I don't waste limited time looking for a hunting spot.

Sorry, would have replied sooner but kept getting an error message on all replies. Forum seems to be working now.

I can understand your dilemma, being so far away and having no resources in SD...or ND?

"Investing" in a lodge-type accommodation may be the best choice for you this season - until you get to know an area and the people; pounding on doors can be very frustrating and time consuming.

However, some on this site only hunt public and apparently do well. Late in the season seems to be best for this
approach. Lots of driving and scouting....

You may find the "outfitters" et al booked until later in the season. Perhaps later would work for you, but driving from Detroit to SD, in the winter, can be grueling!

Good luck!

Go to aberdeenpheasats.com. call Dennis he may be able to point you in the right direction. His handle on this website is Haymaker

Yes, not looking forward to the drive. Would be so much easier if I was on the other side of Chicago!

I can tell you the drive is well worth it. Make the trip from Ohio so a little farther yet. You should be able to find places to still get on with a trespass fee. I have some on my laptop I think. If I do I’ll send to you but a few hours googling various key words should find you some options. Public land can also be a viable and productive option so I wouldn’t look past that.

Good luck and hope your trip is all you want it to be.

Back