anyone else from Illinois?

Hey all I'm Jeff I live in Moline area. Used to hunt upland for many years and it started to get hard to find land. I lost my GSP about 8yrs. ago starting to get the itch to get another. I have two boys and we fish alot and the 20yr. old has hunted with me the 11yr. old has not yet but is real eager to go. I think I'll take him next year with out a gun to see if he really likes it than take him to the hunters course. hope you all had a good and safe year for hunting. I've never traveled out of state to hunt but what I'm reading it sounds great!

Hey guys. Checking in from the Bloomington area. I do alot of hunting out of state. mainly South Dakota and Kansas. I am excited to find this forum. I just had a brand new baby girl a few days ago and I am hoping to teach her to hunt as soon as she is old enough!

Hey guys. Checking in from the Bloomington area. I do alot of hunting out of state. mainly South Dakota and Kansas. I am excited to find this forum. I just had a brand new baby girl a few days ago and I am hoping to teach her to hunt as soon as she is old enough!

Welcome to the site Fez:)

Congrats on your baby girl:thumbsup: --1pheas4

Hey guys, I am from the Plainfield area and just checking in. I hunt DNR also and am always looking to expand. I have a six mo. GSP and have been working with him. Looking forward to this coming year.

Hey guys, I am from the Plainfield area and just checking in. I hunt DNR also and am always looking to expand. I have a six mo. GSP and have been working with him. Looking forward to this coming year.

I used to live at 55 and 126 in Lakewood Falls.
Welcome aboard!

welcome :thumbsup:
congrats :thumbsup:
Got pups? :thumbsup:

No puppy yet. I am in hoping to get a Pudelpointer this spring. I dpo have access to 2 fine brittanys that my father owns however.

First hunting dog my family ever had was GSP. I loved that dog a fine hunter and a great companion.

Hey Fez-ant welcome to the site, can I ask where are you getting the Pudelpointer ??

I have been talking to Uncle Buck and I am pretty impressed with Cedarwoods kennel. I see you are from the quad cities. I know that their is a breeder in Davenport but I haven't looked into him yet.

Welcome aboard purcel41:thumbsup: Speaking of DNR areas I listed a thread on the "illinois" forum on some new DNR sites for next season. Not sure if there in your area or not but check them out.:) --1pheas4

Welcome aboard purcel41:thumbsup: Speaking of DNR areas I listed a thread on the "illinois" forum on some new DNR sites for next season. Not sure if there in your area or not but check them out.:) --1pheas4

I am just getting into hunting the DNR areas and will be doing it more next season. It is just damn hard around Bloomington to find any ground to lease. When I was a kid we leased 100's of acres in Mclean county to hunt and none of it is still there. :(

Mchenry County

I live right outside of Hampshire IL... I've hunted all my life but just recently took up Bird hunting... For the last 2 seasons I've hunted without a dog and enjoyed it a ton but I still envied the hunters with dogs... Soo about a month ago I found the GSP I had been looking for and purchased him... I have no experience training dogs but have been working hard to perfect it... I'll be honest I wouldnt recommend getting a winter litter...It's been soo tough keeping him interested in training because he's freezing to death... I've taken him to a bunch of forest preserves in hopes to introduce him to wildlife but he doesn't really want to get off the beaten path... If anyone has suggestions or experience with training gun dogs in subzero weather get in touch with me...I'll buy you a coffee and pick your brain... I'm Also hoping to work him with other experienced dogs as well sooo if anyone wants to help with that I'm pretty much open on the weekends... Heres some pictures of the Hound....

Last edited:
I live right outside of Hampshire IL... I've hunted all my life but just recently took up Bird hunting... I've taken him to a bunch of forest preserves in hopes to introduce him to wildlife but he doesn't really want to get off the beaten path... If anyone has suggestions or experience with training gun dogs in subzero weather get in touch with me...I'll buy you a coffee and pick your brain... I'm Also hoping to work him with other experienced dogs as well sooo if anyone wants to help with that I'm pretty much open on the weekends... Heres some pictures of the Hound....

Nice pup you have there.:) I'd lay back a bit on working him for now. Springs around the corrner. Start workin' him in a field with nice short grass and work your way up from there. As you know there's 2 ft of snow out there right now.:eek: That's no good for starting a pup.

Aslo, if you need them, I have some pheasnat tails, wings, pelts etc. Your not far from my place. If you want some PM me and I'll give them to you. Oh yeah and welcome to the site.:cheers: --1pheas4

Thanks for the compliments guys... Its an import from germany with amazing bloodlines... 1pheas..I have a bunch of grouse wings from last season and that will hold me till my pheasant coop is finished... I spoke to Macgraws in dundee and they'll sell adult pheasants for 10 a piece.... As for the winter...Today was actually a great day to go out and enjoy the woods... We went up to marengo ridge forest preserve and had a nice work out.... On colder days I clear all the furniture and work him inside... Anyone with a pointer and would like to help train with me.. let me know...

Thanks for the compliments guys... Its an import from germany with amazing bloodlines... 1pheas..I have a bunch of grouse wings from last season and that will hold me till my pheasant coop is finished... I spoke to Macgraws in dundee and they'll sell adult pheasants for 10 a piece.... As for the winter...Today was actually a great day to go out and enjoy the woods... We went up to marengo ridge forest preserve and had a nice work out.... On colder days I clear all the furniture and work him inside... Anyone with a pointer and would like to help train with me.. let me know...

Snows melted and things are looking up for working him outside now. I'd love to work with you on the training front, but I'm a lab guy.:) I might mess up your pointer:D:D

I was at Macgraws Friday to pick up Hungarian partridge for taxidermy purposes. Hun's may be great for training your pup. Nice and small.

I don't know if you heard but their closing up shop over there as far as raising pheasants go. Grain costs are killing them:eek: Sad to see. They've been raising birds forever and a day.:( 1pheas4

Sounds good 1pheas we'll have to cordinate a good day sometime in march.... I'll be in contact soon... And that totally sucks about macgraw's... I remember going there as a kid for my school field trips!!! I'm sure they'll still have their hunt club and nature preserve but I'll sure miss driving by and seeing their birds in the flight pins... :(

And that totally sucks about macgraw's... I remember going there as a kid for my school field trips!!! I'm sure they'll still have their hunt club and nature preserve but I'll sure miss driving by and seeing their birds in the flight pins... :(

I know what your saying BirdNHere:).....some time back in the 60's my dad once road his bike from Roselle IL to Max's to look at the birds!!!:eek:

From what I've heard they're keeping everything else going including the club. They're going to be sub-con birds.

Anyway, yes let's keep in touch about working the dog. You are more than free to use what's in my back yard too. Pond, small sections of grass, trees, open areas too.:)

Talk to you soon and maybe see you at our PF banquet next Friday (March 4th)? --1pheas4

Last edited:
you mean NEXT Friday as in a week from tomorrow right? Whats this MacGraws?? Info pls

Oops:eek:.....Thanks for catching that. Made the edit. (Next Friday the 4th):)

MaxMcgraw is a game farm/not for profit wildlife/habitat org. out of Dundee IL. There accross the street from Gats Guns off route 25. I guess with feed costs being were they are at now it's not worth raising birds anymore.

--1pheas4

Back