anyone else from Illinois?

martydavis

Hi I'm Marty Davis from Chillicothe, IL. (20 miles north of Peoria). Illinois sucks for pheasant hunting. I have to hunt at the DNR put-n-takes if I want any kind of a decent hunt. Anybody else from Illinois?

Well Marty, you can't blame the lack of birds in Illinois on me or my hunting partners. We've done a lotta bird hunting along the WI/IL State line over the years and we've sure chased a bunch of birds into IL in the process. Doubt any of 'em made it as far south as Chillicothe though.

If you get a chance to hunt up around Charles Mound (highest point in IL), would you mind chasing a few of 'em back our way? Sure would appreciate it... we're running low.

John

Im in Spring Grove, about a 1/4 mile south of the WI state line.
In IL Im forced to hunt dnr put and take birds too. Im lucky in that Im a mile from the Chain o lakes State Park.

I make an annual pilgrimage to SD each year.
Have 2 Goldens-not the ones in the toilet paper commercials. The ones that actually hunt:cheers:

Glad to see there are a few of us. We're all going to have to meet up sometime for a UPH get together. Maybe a clays shoot with some burgers and beer afterwards sometime this summer. We can meet someplace central to all of us.

JDM - down by Dwight is where Rooster Heaven hunting lodge is. I hunted there last year and am going back there this Saturday (17th). Your hunting grounds any where near there?

Tim - ownership club? Is that a bunch of folks who buy a parcel of land or is it just lease land? You take in guests?

UplandHntr - we should get together at Chain-o-Lakes sometime next year. I have hunted Johnson-Sauk Trail and Sand Ridge SF. I'm always willing to try new places.

John - I'll see what I can do about chasing some birds your way. Would it help if I knocked a fence or two down at MacFarlanes. :)

As a side note - some of us folks with spaniels (I have a fbECS) have started the Spaniel Club of Central Illinois and we get together just about every weekend (once the weather turns nicer) to train our flushers using game birds or pigeons. If you have a flusher, regardless of type, and would like to get together for some quality training and camaraderie with like minded folks let me know via email. cocker-guy@mchsi.com

Last edited:
hey marty,

Its jeff from springfield we hunted together one day 2 seasons ago...hope you had a great 2006 season with that great little cocker and your lab!

Got a couple of spots left for our 2007 south dakota trip..pretty inexpensive for 4 nights 3 days...like last time your invited :)

Hey Jeff, great to hear from you. I had a great 2006. My Lab had to be semi-retired due to seizures, but the little Cocker picked up the slack just fine. I was able to get over to Iowa for a couple of weekends and all of the other weekends were spent at Sand Ridge SF. I've also continued my pheasant hunting with some preserve hunts this month. The spaniel training season starts soon and I have a bunch of pigeons to get through. Thanks for the invite to South Dakota. I'll keep it in mind.

John - I'll see what I can do about chasing some birds your way. Would it help if I knocked a fence or two down at MacFarlanes. :)

Marty, that's an excellent idea. Actually, I live about a mile north of MacFarlane's but I do most of my hunting over in LaFayette County. Anyway, I doubt MacFarlane's wishes to donate to the local wild bird population, such as it is. But thanks for the offer! :)

JMB

I am from Melvin, IL...pretty decent hunting for IL...Just got an English Pointer and would like some help training it anybody available this sumemr

Petrey10, welcome and good luck with that new Pointer. How old is it?

He is about 16-17 months old. Anybody know of a good trainer that I could take him to in our area? What about a gamebird farm that I could get some birds for him to be on?

Hey petrey i just got an german shorthair i will be working with this summer...still hunting him at a local preserve..will do more training in late summer for the fall 07.

Hello all, My name is Chip and I am from Central Il. I have a few hunting spots but nothing like it used to be, I have 2 GSP's one is 2 and one is a 5 month old pup. I believ I will be making a trekkage to kansas this fall for a week of hunting. And I am always up for a shoot and some food and Beer:cheers: Here are a couple of pics of my dogs.

Chip

Jill the puppy.......
IMG_2624.jpg

And Jack 2 yrs. Hopefully I will finish his MH title this fall.
IMG_2475.jpg

My name is Jeff and I am new to UPH. I grew up hunting in LaSalle county, but now live north in Grayslake, IL. I am trying to put together a couple of days hunting in SD. Anyone got any ideas on how to start?

Jeff

My name is Jeff and I am new to UPH. I grew up hunting in LaSalle county, but now live north in Grayslake, IL. I am trying to put together a couple of days hunting in SD. Anyone got any ideas on how to start?

Jeff

Jeff, SD is awesome. I used to live out by Rapid City and hunted down around Martin, SD. on the western side. I never made it to the eastern side where all the great pheasant hunting is, but I saw plenty of prairie birds. I have started hunting Iowa and can be at some pretty decent places to hunt in a few hours. The Iowa license is for the entire season. Good luck about finding out about SD.

marty

Northern Illinois

Hey all.... I'm from nothern IL near Aurora... got a 11 month old GSP Puppy that is all about finding birds.. New to the forum.. First gun dog but we love to hunt...

Hey all..

Near the end of the season in IL... I have had a great season and my puppy has a nose that I can not believe.. This pup doesn't walk by a bird...

Still cant get the dog to retreive the birds. Once their shot she's done with them.. I'm still walking to pick em up.

Last edited:
Just joined

hey everyone my name is daren. I just just got back into hunting after a long break. About the only place areound here to hun is the DNR also. Im from southern il. About 30 mins outside of St. louis. I also just got a 6 mo. old brittany pup named trigger. Gotta get him ready for next season and the season opener in iowa.

Well, how did everybody do last year? Any plans on this years hunts, fellars?
We had a pretty good season here, got into some wild birds and did a couple of guided hunts with Jack, ran him in 2 trials placed third in one out of 20 dogs I think, Jill had a really great puppy/derby spring trial season, a 1st , a 2nd and 3,3rds, as well as finishing her JH title, maybe we will go to western Nebraska this coming year, anyone been out that way hunting in the last few years?

Chip :cheers:

Back