anyone else from Illinois?

Just saw your post. I am from Elwood and just curious where you hunt? Is it private land or public? I have a 12mo. GSP and always looking for new hunting partners.

Illinois

Hi there im new here and I live in Machesney park IL I just got my own Britt and Im looking from somewhere nearby to hunt her. So if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where is a field to hunt please pm me

Welcome to the site! Are you open to hunting in one of the states many put and take areas or hunt clubs or are you looking for wild birds only?

Looking forward to hearing hunting stories from you through out the ipcoming season!

We are finally getting the basics down and now its time to introduce her to some small bought birds if you know someone in my area that sells them for training that would help lots

Silver Springs

I booked a few days at Silver Springs in Yorkville this year and was curious to see if anyone has hunted there before? How is it and are there any areas I should try to get over others? Any info would help thanks.

I have hunted SS for many years. I really enjoy it. Area 1 is the largest Area and has three parking lots A (Office), B and C. Early in the season I would say B or C are a good choice as the cover is in more of strips. The office lot is one very large field and the cover can be up to your head until a few frosts and hunters can knock it down. The dogs have trouble fighting through it. There are 2 other areas across the river. I would go there as a last resort. Missed birds easily fly off the property and are gone. There is also a 2 lane paved road that divides the areas and unfortunately dogs have been hit.
Get there early to check in. All good areas go quickly. They use a number system. When you arrive walk into the office and numbers will be hanging on the door. This is to secure your place in line. Good Luck. My first day is Sunday 10/16.

Bob

Silver Springs

Thank, I will get there early and grab a number. My first day is 10/28. I might try to grab a day earlier as well. Looking to get the dog under some birds this year as early as possible.

Thank, I will get there early and grab a number. My first day is 10/28. I might try to grab a day earlier as well. Looking to get the dog under some birds this year as early as possible.

I moved out of Lakewood Falls 6 years ago - right at 55 and 126. I used to hit Des Plaines CA quite a bit. I hated every minute of it from the second I pulled in to the parking area. Ive heard good things about Silver Springs. I have friends that still go there.
Im now a mile from Chain o Lakes State Park. Nicest people in the world.

Des Plains workers can make it difficult to enjoy that's for sure. I have not hunted there in a few years so maybe things have changed for the better. I will be out there a few times this year and we will see.

des plaines

i am hunting des plaines nov 5th. I'm in joliet and hav a 16 month brittany. We usually hunt bloomington and kewanee state parks and are trying kankakee this yr. Let me know when you can hunt and try to meet up..

Sounds good. I will check my schedule for November 5th. I have a day a silver springs October 28th. I have a young GSP that I have been working with and can't wait to see how he is.

silver spring

i tried to get silver springs, but its a t miller location i think and i couldnt get in. I am off wkends and we hunt all the state parks locations. they are pretty easy to get in to. Let me know when your available and we can put something together. I bowhunt so i can work around that...

New member from Central Illinois here. Around the Pontiac area. Just got a new GSP and I'm looking for some ground to hunt. I have one good spot, but I'd love to have a couple more. If you're looking for a hunting buddy with a dog in Livingston county and you have access to some ground send me a PM.

I've never had an issue with burrs out there... Then again, my dog is short coated. Don't remember needing to pick any off of my clothes, either. Maybe they listened to their customers? What a novel business plan!

My chessie has a lot of hair and doesn't get burrs at that place.

Back