Anyone been on Lonetree WMA?

pnsballard

Wondering if the Lonetree WMA produces a lot of pheasant. Absolutely HUGE WMA. Bit of a haul from Minot so wondering if it is worth the drive or am I better off hitting Garrison or Audobon WMAs this year? Noriced a lot of PLOTS concentrated in the Sheridan/Burleigh area too. Haven't been down there but once and went to the Robert W Henderson WMA last year (didn't see any upland game there). Can someone zero me in on an area that did not see the #s drop off much? This will be my last season in ND due to the USAF moving me next summer so could use a little networking help to get on some birds one last time.

Thanks!

Wondering if the Lonetree WMA produces a lot of pheasant. Absolutely HUGE WMA. Bit of a haul from Minot so wondering if it is worth the drive or am I better off hitting Garrison or Audobon WMAs this year? Noriced a lot of PLOTS concentrated in the Sheridan/Burleigh area too. Haven't been down there but once and went to the Robert W Henderson WMA last year (didn't see any upland game there). Can someone zero me in on an area that did not see the #s drop off much? This will be my last season in ND due to the USAF moving me next summer so could use a little networking help to get on some birds one last time.

Thanks!

Your timing could not be worse. My brother travels through much of ND and he is seeing very little pheasant activitiy where a couple of years ago they were thick.

Lonetree is more geared to sharptails, but some pheasants occupy pheasant type cover there. That area had to be hard hit by winter.

Read the latest ND Outdoors. Much of the land that borders the Missouri river system (lakes and river) was under water for much of the summer. Habitat and game have likely moved on. Whether they return soon depends on falling water and if habitat was destroyed. Suggest you drive down there and see what is going on.

One idea for you is to travel down to the SW part of the state and hunt the PLOT land during the 1st week of the season. Bird numbers down there are stronger and it is residents only the first seven days of the season on land managed by NDG&F. Stay in Elgin, Glen Ulen, Dickenson, Mott. Those areas will hold the most birds this year and as a resident of ND you have that advantage of the first week. Smaller hotels are in most peoples budgets. Camping is an option that early too.

I was afraid of that. I may have to just spend the night somewhere. Wish I didn't have to but I know the past couple of years, particularly this past year were brutal.

Back