any youth hunt reports?

I took my youth fishing yesterday instead of hunting with the warm temps and he decided he would rather have a buddy over last night instead of getting to bed so he could get up this morning. Unfortunately for me friends and girls have taken precedence over doing things with dad. :(

We made it out [CENTER[/CENTER]URL=http://s88.photobucket.com/user/Brittman2006/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4751_zpsundo9xdx.jpg.html]
IMG_4751_zpsundo9xdx.jpg
[/URL]

My daughter and I have been visiting about going out to the Family farm for youth season , between high school debate , cheer and her friends pretty tough to get on the calendar but we made it work.

Here she is taking a break with one of my newer recruits , the cedar planting wind break was likely done when she wasn't even walking yet .

Newest recruit7 month old pup , the moment of truth for trainer , coach , dog and new hunter . Bird comes up daughter picks out a bird gun goes to cheek and shoulder follows bird but no shot . In all the excitement safety not off no shot taken . Been there done that. A morning spent with my girls and a safe hunt and memories well worth it !!!

It was a blast. I will have to post pictures later. My son was new at it. We found pheasant and quail. We found rabbits. We found a badger and a skunk. I think he shot about 12 shells on Saturday and 3-4 on Sunday. In the end he bagged one bird, one rabbit, and was sprayed by a skunk.

It was a blast. I will have to post pictures later. My son was new at it. We found pheasant and quail. We found rabbits. We found a badger and a skunk. I think he shot about 12 shells on Saturday and 3-4 on Sunday. In the end he bagged one bird, one rabbit, and was sprayed by a skunk.

Wow that sounds like a fun story.

Here are a couple of pictures. His first pheasant and rabbit.

20161105_161938_zpsihygyzwk.jpg

20161105_111446_zpsuy3wrr58.jpg

Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors hosted 2 hunts over the weekend. We did a First Hunt for new hunter ed grads in the Emporia area on Saturday and a Youth Hunt on WIHA near Cheney Lake on Sunday afternoon.

The First Hunt was great with 16 new hunters getting a chance to harvest a bird, including a family of 4, mom, dad and 2 boys who had taken their hunter ed class the previous weekend. They're now ready chase 'em!

On Sunday, We took 7 young hunters out for a pheasant hunt on the special youth weekend. We hunted some WIHA fields west of Wichita on an afternoon hunt. While we didn't see any birds, the kids all had fun, saw some things they had never seen before and are ready to go again!

As we walked the fields of tall and thick grass, we were able to show the kids where the pheasants had roosted for the evening. We also saw some quail roosts and talked about how they would sleep as a covey in a circle with their tails in the middle.

As we walked into the second field, the young lady I was walking with dodged a fresh cow pie, exclaiming "What is that!!!" She couldn't believe what she was seeing! We have too many kids who aren't getting to see nature. Kids in Kansas who haven't seen a cow pie. Just WOW!

wIMG_1816_2.jpg

We were all set to make the drive out west and my son came home from school with a fever and a cough, so it looks like we will try and get out in a couple of weeks.

Rut

Back