Any WY hunters?

Looking to share info and compare notes in prep for a bird huunting trip this fall. Looking to expand the species roster from the Sage and Blue grouse I've been after and looking at new areas.

No, not asking for anyones secret spots, just regional info...

berttadouble,

I'm not sure where you've been hunting recently, but I live in and hunt birds in Wyoming. Sage, Blues, and Huns--plus roosters. I will point you to some good areas if you want.

dag,
I can point you to some good areas to go for sage hens. Public land stuff where you can hunt all day long. What areas of Wyoming have you hunted before?

dag,
I can point you to some good areas to go for sage hens. Public land stuff where you can hunt all day long. What areas of Wyoming have you hunted before?

That would be a huge help. I've never been to Wyoming before but my 2 young boys want to go hunting with me and I thought Sage Grouse habitat would be a little more accessible then my usual blue grouse hills for them.
I've been reading up on them and spoke with the local biologist in Baggs.
I really appreciate any help. If your ever in Colorado I have some really good blue grouse spots as well as pheasant out in eastern Colorado.

Dag,
If it were me, I would focus on the triangle made up by Kemmerer, Pinedale and Farson....extending east to South Pass. It's the heart of Wyoming Sage Grouse country. Mostly public land as well. Find water and hunt near it. Ponds or creeks are good. Doesn't have to be a lot of water, but when it's hot and dry the birds need to drink every day or two, so they stick near water. They also, find a lot of insects near water as well. And Sage Hens love a little greenery in their diet when they can find it. It's common to find them in alfalfa given the right circumstances.

If you move up to the Bridger Teton Forest you can find very good hunting for Blue Grouse as well. Look for ridge lines of high elevation meadows and parks. Sage brush openings, up on ridge tops, at elevations above 7500 feet. Focus your efforts on the edge lines of pines that surround the meadows.

If you make it to the Bighorn Basin, it should be a good year for Huns as well. I've seen quite a few around this summer. Hope that helps.

I live in northern Wyoming and I have come to know the immediate area fairly well. Wyoming is certainly not on most bird hunters' radar, perhaps except for sage grouse. I have met quite a few diehard older bird hunters that have been chasing birds in this area for decades. These guys generally aren't online at all and even less likely to reveal a good spot. There are starting to be more young bucks interested in birds. I think the hun hunting should be high on your list if you want to diversify, but I dont think there are many in the usual sage grouse areas in south central Wyoming.

Westok,
The hunting for both Huns and Chukar can be good if you find the coveys. Huns are spread over most of the state. Best populations are in the Bighorn Basin, Lander-Riverton area and the area around Sheridan. I've also hunted them down around Evanston as well. But they are where you find them. Cover a lot of ground and note where you see them. They will likely be there in the years to come.

The best populations of Chukars are in the Bighorn Basin. Look for areas that have sage, rocky areas, cheat grass and water. They really like high elevation desert ridges too. Focus on hills and desert mountains. Not so much on the flat lands, though sometimes they will surprise you.

If you're in Montana, the area from Belfry to Bridger then south to the Wyoming line always has chukar and huns too. I see them in there all the time.

Most these areas have large tracts of public land, but be really careful if the roads (two track variety) are wet. Many of these areas are clay and if it gets wet you might as well park and wait for it to dry or freeze because if it's wet the roads are impossible. You'll struggle to go 50 yards. Even with chains on your tires all that will happen is you'll ruin the road for everyone else by tearing it up with big ruts. And you'll just end up stuck. So wait for a dry weather pattern or below freezing day.
'

Back