Any Tennessee boys on here?

esetter

Just found this TN forum and wondered how many volunteer staters there were? Anybody hunted TN yet this year for grouse , woodcock or quail?

Just me(so far)...

Tried one grouse hunt and put my 10 month old setter on the ground and in 3 minutes she lacerated her fore leg. Have not had the time since.

Will be traveling to see family for Thanksgiving so won't be able to hunt then either. I hope to get more hours in.

West Tennessee

I'm from Millington, a little north of Memphis. There's not many quail around here. I usually have to buy some and put them out to get the dogs some work. I have 2 setters and a pointer. Just back from a South Dakota trip and did well all on public ground.

Hunted a couple of days , got up one really nice covey of quail. I killed one male out of it. Grouse hunted one day , no birds. Have seen a few woodcock around. Hunted wyoming and north dakota earlier in the year , did really well.

TN

I'm located east of Nashville 60 miles or so. Typically I go to Kansas a few time a year to chase Roosters and Quail. Only went once this year due to work,etc. Hopefully this next year I can make more trips. I might even go to SD this fall.

Steve

This is the first year in the last 5 that we didnt go to ks. I pulled a 18 day trip to wyoming and then to north dakota and used all my ''away days". How was your ks trip?

KS

Setter,

We had a hard time finding birds, finally zeroed in on them and then I couldn't hit the broadside of a very large barn. My buddy did pretty well the last couple of days. It appears it will be several years before KS gets back to normal unfortunetly.

Steve

Where bouts were you? We hunt the hays / osborne / stockton areas. Makes me sad to see kansas go. I already experienced pheasant extinction in iowa where we used to go.

KS

We hunted the Greensburg area. I had not hunted that area in years. The cover looked pretty good, but very few birds.
Sorry it took so long to get back to the thread. I'm traveling alot right now.

Steve

No prob , I assume since you are traveling lots that means you are working lots and i definitely know how that is. Ive never hunted SW kansas but would like to check it out. Believe it or not we got into a huge (20 birds at least) covey of quail here last week. Best point of the year for my dog. Pointed one woodcock and wild flushed three more.

Esetter

Yes I too saw the decline in the Rooster population in Iowa. That is where I started hunting Roosters in the 60's yes 60's. Damn I'm old. lol

Back