Any Luck

Hunted NE KS this weekend for Easterns. I had 4 toms within 300 yard on the roost but no a word after fly down. Didn't seem interested in my Avian Jake and hen combo. Headed west Wednesday to hunt a friends place alone the Saline river until Sunday. Hope the Rio's are playing better.

Congratulations!! I'm looking forward to getting out there. The birds here in Ga where I hunt have gone very quiet.

Congratulations!! I'm looking forward to getting out there. The birds here in Ga where I hunt have gone very quiet.

Did you draw a tag for the western half or are you hunting east of 183? I know you said North Central. Supposed to rain here tomorrow and Wednesday. There is some good hunting for turkeys on Kanopolis. Getting permission for turkeys is generally easier than deer hunting.

Last edited:
We're hunting west of Clay Center on some walk in that we've had success on in the past. We also have permission to hunt a small private farm in the same area.

Well we got back yesterday empty handed but had a good time. The birds goobled good on the limb, but once they hit the ground they had other things on their mind. One thing that was interesting was that we had two different groups of mushroom hunters walk right by us while we were on public land on two different spots.

I had a mushroom hunter, a trespasser, walk right into the trees I was calling to. I got the landowner and we intercepted her.

Can't get the toms to come to my decoys.

BritChaser I know your not alone with the toms not decoying. I have all sorts of stories like that from folks this season. They seem late to get going. I am going to try again in NE KS this week as I have a client coming into hunt and I need to get them figured out. I did get a Tom to come to my full struuter and hen decoy last Friday. That was the only setup I have had work this season. Jake and laying hen was a bust. Jake and upright hen was a bust too.

Back