Any good mixed bag hunting destinations you can suggest?

Mixed Bag Places

Kansas has wild pheasant and quail. Northern Nevada has wild chukar and hungarian partridge. For a pheasant, quail, and chukar trio you have to go to a pay hunt place and hunt mostly pen raised birds. Of course, if you add waterfowl into the equation . . .

I have been to Kansas, the hunting was very good. Anybody been to eastern Montana? Any opportunities there?

Montana

I have been to Kansas, the hunting was very good. Anybody been to eastern Montana? Any opportunities there?

Pheasant and maybe sharps, and maybe huns. I would check with the MT wildlife authority.

NORTH DAKOTA is the place for a mixed bag! Pheasants,sharptails,huns, ducks,geese-snows and blues,and canada. Plus great deer-whitetail and mule deer.also lots of coyotes! Why hunt anywhere else, its great here!

Kansas has wild pheasant and quail. Northern Nevada has wild chukar and hungarian partridge. For a pheasant, quail, and chukar trio you have to go to a pay hunt place and hunt mostly pen raised birds. Of course, if you add waterfowl into the equation . . .

So what is the best area of the state to go for a mixed bag on public land? What time of year?

Kansas Mixed Bag

The quail and pheasant seasons in KS are now the same: Second Sat. in Nov. through January 31. Last season we shot fewer pheasant and more quail as the season wore on simply because the pheasant get jumpy and far flush and run but the quail always hold. So, late Nov. to early December might be good for a balanced mixed bag. IMHO NW is the best area in KS.

Last edited:
Plenty of Walk In

How is the public ground there? Late season or earlier is better? Pressure? I might have to head out there myself.

Lots of walk in, pretty well used early but there is so much.

NORTH DAKOTA is the place for a mixed bag! Pheasants,sharptails,huns, ducks,geese-snows and blues,and canada. Plus great deer-whitetail and mule deer.also lots of coyotes! Why hunt anywhere else, its great here!

What areas are good for these mixed bags? I see that non-reidents cannot hunt state land on the opener, is it hard to find places to hunt for us out of staters?

If you want an adventure go to the Grasslands. Go North from Belfield on 85 to one of the National Grasslands access roads. Or continue West on 94 past Medora and the Little Missouri, take the exit to the West River Road South or the Grasslands access to the North.

California has good opportunity for mixed bag hunting. The desert holds gambels & Ca quail, plus chukar using the same cover in the washes. Mountain quail, band tailed pigeons, and blue grouse in the sierra Nevada mountains. Anywhere that holds pheasants will more than likely produce quail and doves also. The hunting can be tough but the birds are here for those willing to get off the beatin path.

Back