Any advice would be appreciated

myacopino

I'm trying to go to SD this year for the first time with my lab( newly trained 1 yr old) i live in NC and do not know anyone else that would like to go. Any advice on area's to hunt (economically), that have a combo waterfowl/ Pheasant hunt would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking over the SD game and fish web site and see there are thousands of acres to hunt publicly without spending an arm and leg on the lodging.My email is Thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site.
Lots of people on here from SD. I'm sure someone can help you plan a trip?

Hey myacopino,
I too am interested in going to SD this fall and am in the same boat as you. I just can't seem to put together a group that can all do it at once. And I have a 4 year-old Boykin that does pretty well with quail and dove here in SC. So if you are interested in trying to put something together with another newb then let me know. There are a few dates still open with uguide?

Last edited:
Non-resident waterfowl licenses are limited and you must apply for a license. The first 2 draw periods were in July. Any leftover licenses are available on a first-come first-served basis. I'm sure there are plenty left at this time but you can get more info at http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/licenses/limited/leftover/nonres-waterfowl.aspx

The NE part of SD is probably where I would be looking if thinking about a combo pheasant/waterfowl hunt. Check out the Webster area. Lots of lakes and water and also lots of public land.

Welcome to the site and good luck on your hunt. Maybe in a few years for me. Gotta pay off those student loans.

Back