Anti GPS Collar

BritChaser

After being afield for the first time with a hunting companion using a GPS collar on his dog, I can definitively say I will never use one. When you use a GPS collar in high cover, you constantly have to stop and read your handheld to figure out where the dog is. That is to say, you're looking down at your hand, not the middle distance where your dog is, while bird hunting! And you have to stop and position yourself just so if the sun is out in order to read it. I have never seen any hunter so repeatedly unaware of where his dog was as was my companion. Also, it was annoying having to repeatedly stop and wait for him to read the thing when we should have kept moving to keep up with the dogs' quarterings.

With a bell, the hunter always knows where the dog is, always has his head up and his eyes where the bell is sounding, and the golden silence of a point is priceless. In addition, an older person like me who needs reading glasses has to remove his shooting or sun glasses and put on reading glasses to read the damn thing -- while bird hunting! Ridiculous!

I don't buy that bells are a big factor in spooking birds. The birds know something is approaching in the field regardless of bells.

That is my loudly humble two cents worth.

Last edited:
Fortunately, no one says you HAVE to use a GPS.

I would have been annoyed by your friend too. Then again, I find bells equally as annoying.

I have 3 dogs and use GPS collars. I only look for the dogs if I can't find them. I can walk and use mine. If I can't see the dog I look to see if it is on point and go get the bird up. I can set it so it vibrates me and beeps when the dog is on point. Yes I have to lower my sun glasses to look but I am used to it. If I stopped every time to look at mine or I was always checking it the dogs would be out of gun range forsure.
annoying is the guy who is always yelling at their dog!
You can hunt alone but then your annoyed at yourself so it is more fun to hunt with someone else:D....lol

No matter what it is always a good day when you can get out and hunt!

I have 3 dogs and use GPS collars. I only look for the dogs if I can't find them. I can walk and use mine. If I can't see the dog I look to see if it is on point and go get the bird up. I can set it so it vibrates me and beeps when the dog is on point. Yes I have to lower my sun glasses to look but I am used to it. If I stopped every time to look at mine or I was always checking it the dogs would be out of gun range forsure.
annoying is the guy who is always yelling at their dog!
You can hunt alone but then your annoyed at yourself so it is more fun to hunt with someone else:D....lol

No matter what it is always a good day when you can get out and hunt!

The guy was a yeller too! :( I suppose some hunters are more skilled at using their GPSs.

I have utilzed GPS for the past 4 years. To me they are beneficial. I do not constantly look at the GPS. Like the previous post, only when I cannot locate my dogs. My dogs know how to quarter and check back with me on a regular basis.

Where the GPS is useful to me is when the grass is chest high or a heavy cattail slough along with heavy winds, you could not locate your dog unless he ran into your legs. I utilize the GPS to monitor the position and to ensure they are not on point. In these circumstances, I would rather look at a GPS on a regular basis in lieu of blowing a whistle. Just my thoughts on the subject.

As a non-GPS user, I have often wanted to try this technology; however, the costs of these systems are still pretty high. I do have two Dogtra 2002TB systems that allow me to hunt with some degree of comfort when hunting in thick coverage. I do not use the beeper mode, but I do use the locate feature in dense foliage or rugged terrain that enables me to locate the dogs when out of eye sight. Having 4-6 dogs on one system would be nice. If the price comes down I would gladly try one of these systems.

All good opions. The GPS does take a little learning curve. I don't like to listen to beepers, yelling or a whistle stuck to someones lips. The GPS is a good tool, but we all have our own style.

I've been using the Garmin Astro 220 with the DC30 collar for several years now and I can say I don't leave home without it. It's and invaluable tool for several reasons. I always know the direction my dog is as well as how far away he is. I also know when he's on point, if the bird is holding or running ahead of him. I know how far the dog travels and where he's been. I hunt pheasants and chukar in Utah and quail in Arizona. I always have piece of mind knowing where the dog is at. My dog is a big runner in open country so when hunting quail or chukar the GPS is priceless.
I've never experience difficulty seeing the screen no matter what time of day or how bright the sun is.
In my opinion the Garmin GPS is the greatest thing since sliced bread for bird hunting.
I've tried beepers but they always spooked the chukar coveys. They work fine on preserve pheasants but not to well on wild birds. Anyway that's my experience.

I have seen tracking collar's used on Coon hounds but that only makes sense to me hunting at night and the dogs running the county side.
I bought the dog to enjoy and watching him hunt is part of the fun. Maybe you guys hunt birds that will hold for a really long time till you reach the dog but in MN the wild birds don't seem to hold that long.

I am of the opinion that the Garmin units are almost indispensable hunting.

There is know question in my mind that I am more relaxed and enjoying the hunt more with them. Additionally, I shoot more birds, because I can find the dog morequickly on point, without a lot of noise.

If you have a dog that will stand its birds until you get there, you just walk the line you want, hear the beep, walk to the dog, flush and shoot. If you are looking at the GPS all the time, it would seem to me that you don't have much confidence in your dog to do its job.

I much prefer the Garmin to bells and beeper collars because it is some much quieter. The Garmin is pricey, but I feel well worth the money in the area that I hunt in.

My dogs don't hunt or go for a run without them.

Back