Another season with the hounds

Took some buddies out Saturday for a impromptu chukar hunt. Amazing group of friends. After our initial plans fell through we regrouped, pointed the trucks towards the nearest hills, dropped a mongrel pack of dogs, and moved 3 coveys of chukar, 5 coveys of quail, and a handful of snipe.

View attachment 8721

View attachment 8722

View attachment 8723

Leaving tomorrow am and heading to Kansas. Hoping to get into a few prairie chickens and a bunch of bobwhites.

View attachment 8750

Finally got the best pic to upload. Lady worked like an absolute star that day and all four roosters were shot over staunch points and beautiful dog work.

View attachment 8821

Did you get another pup from Troy?! Congrats! I was in the Happy Camp CA worki g on the Natchez Fire and i was amazed at the number of mountain quail coveys i saw. Has to a real challenge to hunt them in those elevations.

Did you get another pup from Troy?! Congrats! I was in the Happy Camp CA worki g on the Natchez Fire and i was amazed at the number of mountain quail coveys i saw. Has to a real challenge to hunt them in those elevations.

Actually neither of them are directly from Troy but there are definitely Prairie Drifter dogs in the ped. I honestly think mountain quail are easier to hunt in the Sierra Nevada than they are in the Cascades but there's definitely a bunch of them up there, a few ruffs even in places.

That Wager Creek Spugeon is my twos Grand sire too. He's in Troy's Kennel now.

Last edited:
Ok, my setter is out of Troys kennel. She is coming along nicely. Yeah i saw a few ruffs and another grouse that i wasnt sure which species it was. Plus all the poison oak would be a hassel to deal with too.

I’ve been gettin at least one tick each time out.
The dog got sprayed by a skunk today, still cleaning him and his gear.

Another day in the grasslands. We saw 2 hens and 2 roosters and my buddy Alex connected on his first wild, California rooster. So glad to be there and be a part of it.

View attachment 8878

Spent the weekend on the Eastside hunting quail and chukar with a good friend of mine. The dogs worked awesome finding three coveys of chukar but they all flushed wild as we approached. Dropped down to the sage and found lots of quail and even a few snipe. All in all a great time to be out.

Last edited:
Back