Another Hunter from Texas!

Like a couple of other posts, I have been lurking on this website for some time. The info is very helpful for planning. The group I hunt with is primarily for quail. Though our group still goes to the Texas Panhandle every year, and we try to hit an out of state hunt for pheasant as well.
Below is one of my pheasants from the Panhandle a few years ago.

Most of our out of state hunts are in South Dakota. Love the Pierre area. Neat little town. We are probably going to Kansas next year and it looks like Kansas has had a nice recovery from the drought. I own 9 Vizslas, and they have all been on wild birds except my youngest pup. Hopefully I can get him on some quail in the second half of this season. I handle and train my own dogs, and have done so since day one.

I am currently the Secretary for the Lone Star Chapter of Quail/Pheasant Forever. We are out of Dallas / Fort Worth and are lucky enough to be a duel chapter. I am looking forward to hearing great stories and meeting new hunters!

View attachment 5229

Welcome. From what's been posted within the Texas forum, pheasants are bouncing back a bit from the drought.

Good luck out there:).

Nick

Huntmorevizslas, welcome. As Secretary of the Lone Star Chapter of Quail/Pheasant Forever, you are just the person I need to talk to.

When you leave the Texas Panhandle driving east towards Dallas/Fort Worth you drive through hundreds of miles of wheat fields and farm country with great potential for establishing a hunt able wild pheasant population.

I have spoke with state wildlife officials in an effort to get them interested in expanding the wild pheasant range southward and eastward.

They could start with wild-trapped pheasants (from the the Panhandle or S. W. Kansas) or wilded strains of pen raised pheasants like the Manchurian-cross or the Bianchi or Afghan White winged pheasant (which they used successfully 45 years ago) to help get wild pheasants started.

Area of prime example, the wheat and center pivot irrigation farming country of Hardeman county and Wilbarger county. Those farming areas along the Red River on both the Texas and Oklahoma sides can easily support wild pheasants.
In fact I get reports of a few wild pheasants already in those areas but they need a little help to build up critical mass.

Google Earth, and look at the area in Wilbarger county around the town of Odell, zome down. Thats just one of many areas. Wild pheasants in those areas would reduce driving time, increase safety and reduce cost.

When I spoke with state wildlife people in charge of wild game birds they showed no interest. Maybe the The Lone Star Charter of Quail/Pheasant Forever may be more effective in getting the state interested in expanding the wild pheasant range in Texas.

Welcome from one Texan to another. Enjoy the forum. What part of the Panhandle do you hunt?

Back