Another good day for a walk... first day out with a Gopro... had a little fun. :)

Shawk

Picked up a Gopro... none of these gadgets are probably worth the cash but I decided to blow a few bucks and get one anyway. VERY easy to use and I honestly had to check several times to be sure it was still mounted since it's so lite. A week ago we had a really tough all day hunt (though we still managed to bag a couple birds). In our final field, Mia (our 7 yr old) finally nailed down a runner that would have been #3... I pulled out my camera phone to take a couple pics... as I walk in to flush the bird I was sliding my phone in my pocket and of course nearly drop it in some shallow water as the rooster flushed. Needless to say, that bird got a pass that day in favor of keeping my phone dry and keeping the dogs safe. My old pooch deserved that bird... so I thought I'd give one of these little cameras a try and keep my phone tucked away safely in my pocket from now on.
Decent hunt today... quite a few birds seen and some really cool footage recorded. I'll try to get a couple videos posted as well. I attached some pics from video today that I snapped off my computer screen tonight (poor quality, but some cool shots). My 9 month old must have known the camera was rolling.... she looked like a pro all day while my older pooch was on another planet. She worked fine and as always just flat out obedient but it's like she left her nose at home today (ha). Mia has outshined the pup most days this season, but not even close today. Saw a few other roosters but only had two chances to put any in the bag and we managed to bring both those home... both were worked and locked down by Chloe (pup). One from this years hatch and the other from the previous season.

Point on rooster #1

and.... ROOSTER! (same #1)

Kicked up under point... A LOT of hens again today... good news for next year (hopefully)

Kicked up under point...

This one was fun... Chloe has been a quick learner and really has learned to move quickly when a bird moves rather than sitting around waiting... turned out to be a hen, but on public ground they're sneaky and wise!

Only 11.6 today... (ha) Pooches were wiped out so we shut it down today a couple hours early. (4:50 pm is when we got home after a little scouting in new country)

Last edited:
Should be able to just click on pics... all clips are really short.

Rooster #1 video is pretty long so I won't post. Rooster #2 is a retrieve video only so no post (slow on the camera). I also jumped a coyote within 40-50 yards and I watched him sneak away... at that point of course I thought about the camera as he disappeared. ;)

I have been considering buying one as well! The video quality looks excellent. Where did you mount yours?

Great stuff right there!:cheers: Please continue to share your adventures. As you know, many of us have to travel to get some action for our dogs.

Thanks guys. It was fun looking back at our first hunt. Better than I hoped. Before it hit my doorstep I was thinking it would be a total waste of money... but after using it, I now think it's only a little waste of money. :D No regrets...

I have been considering buying one as well! The video quality looks excellent. Where did you mount yours?

I went with the head mount as a bird hunter. I think it's the right choice especially after getting out with it for a day. The chest strap will turn away when shooting and IMO will also miss a lot of action to the left and right since it'll always be pointed straight ahead while walking.
I'm far from an expert on them and never will be one... but feel free to drop me a note if there's something I might be able to answer. Later...

Video below from today...
Snuck out to a new public location that isn't in the best part of the state and to boot probably gets trampled often being one of the few publics in the area. Managed to get this guy on video. NOT this years bird for sure... SNEAKY! Both pooches were on him and I'm not sure who was more confused trying to track him down, the dogs or me. These late season public ground birds really give dogs a run for their money. Mia and Chloe no doubt were shaken at least once or twice on this ground today... birds outscored us today. But the season goes on as we continue trying to get them on birds this season. ;)

I love seeing these videos, I miss pheasant hunting so much, living vicariously thru you guys. Thanks so much for sharing your trips.

Back