Another Blizzard

gjw

Well, another blizzard tomorrow and the day after. Heavy snow and very high winds = winter kill and more damage to the wildlife population. The drifting will be the big issue. We had a nice melt so the birds could get at some food, but with this one it's going to be tough for a few days.

The upside is, it won't be as cold and warm weather is on the way. That will help a lot.

Fingers crossed again!

Best

Greg

We have had more than usual snowfall this past season, but that isn't saying too much, as the past 2 years we received very little. Locally, if there was good cover, the birds did OK I believe. The problem is that there isn't that much for bigger blocks of cover around. With the pics I saw on the net this winter, there are areas (the Dakotas & NE) that will be in a rebuilding status for a few years. Pheasants are resilient, they will be back, we just need some optimal conditions to speed that process along. I hope with receiving more snow, we can get some rain now....hopeful not the gully washers during the hatch though, I guess we are taking what we can get.

More bad news. It’s a real shame as the numbers last fall were better then they have been for a few years. If it is any consolation much of the west has had a harder than normal winter so misery has company. Here at home the moose population has taken a major hit for the second year in a row. The one bright spot should be Arizona for quail as they had rain for the first time in years. Perhaps ND will get lucky and nesting season will be great, we can only hope.

I seem to have gotten through this one with only 2-3". Bird numbers still look decent and things shoud really start opening up next week.

More bad news. It’s a real shame as the numbers last fall were better than they have been for a few years. If it is any consolation much of the west has had a harder than normal winter so misery has company. Here at home the moose population has taken a major hit for the second year in a row. The one bright spot should be Arizona for quail as they had rain for the first time in years. Perhaps ND will get lucky and nesting season will be great, we can only hope.
I’m already booked for Arizona after seeing some rainfall data!

Back