And the survey says ...

Why don't you guys just get born and raised in SD? Make sure the family your born to lives in a rural area and loves hunting. It really isn't that hard. Then you don't have to drive all over Creation.

We can't help ourselves's but make those crazy drives...it's in our blood. Most of us would drive those same distances in reverse it that's what it took to get our dogs doing what we both live for! It's a disease known as "Wild Bird Flu" Most of us have had a severe case of it since we were teenagers when we witnessed our first close flush. Lucky for us there is no cure. Many spouses and significate others have tried but all have failed.

28 hours for me so flying is the only option. Those days are over after piling in the station wagon for 3 days to see my Grandparents in the summer as a kid!

How do they get the birds harvested numbers? Is it an estimated guess or is there a survey hunters submit

It is based on survey numbers that are extrapolated and then the number of pen raised birds are subtracted from that number. Obviously, it isn't exact, but conversations I've had with various CO's and GFP biologists that have a vested interest in accuracy, I believe it to be within a few percentage points. These are the guys who care about populations and use empirical evidence. It's the governor and Department of Tourism that are pushing the massive marketing campaign. Thankfully, they don't get have a say in harvest/population amount. If the numbers were left up to them, you'd see SD's harvest numbers right around a trillion. ;)

An estimated guess following this formula: Take number of licenses X days of season X 3 + (number needed to be number one)= total harvest

By doing that, residents harvested 18.9 million birds in 2020. And if we say that a non-resident hunts for 10 days in SD, their harvest numbers would be 1.8 million in 2020. SD didn't report a 20 million bird harvest.

Instead, the numbers go more like this - the 121,331 licensed hunters shot an estimated 9.14 pheasants per hunter for a total estimated harvest of 1.1 million in 2020.

By doing that, residents harvested 18.9 million birds in 2020. And if we say that a non-resident hunts for 10 days in SD, their harvest numbers would be 1.8 million in 2020. SD didn't report a 20 million bird harvest.
South Dakotans are known to be fairly conservative in general, which is probably why they only reported 1.1M last year. But I think your interpretation of GoodBoy!'s equation is right on the money. Sort of. I bet due to poaching & ignoring possession limits, a small "handful" of residents were responsible for most of those 18.9M. Since we've entered the realm of fantasy.

We can't help ourselves's but make those crazy drives...it's in our blood. Most of us would drive those same distances in reverse it that's what it took to get our dogs doing what we both live for! It's a disease known as "Wild Bird Flu" Most of us have had a severe case of it since we were teenagers when we witnessed our first close flush. Lucky for us there is no cure. Many spouses and significate others have tried but all have failed.
I've logged a lot of miles in hunting!

Instead, the numbers go more like this - the 121,331 licensed hunters shot an estimated 9.14 pheasants per hunter for a total estimated harvest of 1.1 million in 2020.
121 thousand!! Jesus!!

Back