An old new member from San Diego

Sportnlyf

My name is Jim Brown and I am a native of San Diego who has hunted in San Diego and Imperial counties for most of my life. Managed the San Diego City Lakes Program from 1974 until my retirment in 2003. As a sideline I have taught outdoor recreation at San Diego State, been the outdoor writer for the San Diego Tribune and other publications and was a co-founder and co-host of the All Outdoors Radio Network. All of that is in my past, though I do have a blog (jimbrowns-sportinglife@blogspot.com/). My passion is bird hunting, particularly pheasants, and I am the full-time executive assistant to Gus, a four year old field bred English springer spaniel. Our pursuit of roosters takes us on the road for two weeks each fall prior to the start of the California season. This past season that road led to northeast Montana and southwest North Dakota. I am fairly knowledgeable about hunting and fishing (both fresh and salt) in this extreme southwest corner of the country and enjoy sharing information with others who are willing to do the same.

Last edited:
I am the full-time executive assistant to Gus, a four year old field bred English springer spaniel.

It's a wise and lucky man who recognizes his true position in the scheme of things. I hold the position of chauffeur/shooter/ear scratcher/poop transportation engineer for Morgan The Dog. I know it sounds like a rock group but it's really a solo act. She lets me get on stage with her occasionally.
I think you'll like it here.

Welcome Jim. I can't wait to learn all you have to teach. Besides my love for springers and upland hunting I've also been known to be an official bass addict. I think we will get along just fine.:cheers:

Sportnlyf, it just occurred to me. Are there any wild pheasants where you live or do feed the need only with long range trips? San Diego isn't noted as a hotbed of chicken shooting... or is it?

Thank You

First of all, thanks to all for the warm welcome. Secondly, I don't know that I can teach Quail Hound anything as he sounds like a very quick study. And yes Calarmari, we do have pheasant hunting within a reasonable drive from my home in San Diego, as long as you would agree that two hours is a reasonable drive. All of my "local" pheasant hunting occurs about 90 minutes to two hours away in Imperial Valley, an irrigated desert that is one of the most important agricultural areas in the country considering that it enjoys a year-round growing season. We have a few wild pheasants in that area that are in turn pursued by only a handful of hunters after the opening weekend. I hunted the last three weeks of the season without seeing another hunter and managed to take eight roosters in seven weeks. The pheasant hunting is far better just across the border in Mexicali Valley, but I have not held a license and gun permit there for several years.

For the most part, I hunt the irrigation drainage ditches and have been fortunate to have a had a black lab (Tap), and then a bench ESS (Rainy) and now a field bred ESS (Gus) that have been without peer when it comes to working the very difficult cover in those ditches.

The birds thrive in Mexico where there is an abundance of cereal crops not found on our side of the border, where row crops (leetuce, cabbage, sugar beats, carrots, etc.) and silage (Sudan grass, Cline grass, Bermuda and alfalfa) are predominant.

Frankly, I prefer working hard all day for roosters to finishing early with a limit. I think I value and apprciate the birds a lot more that way.

Last edited:
Welcome! I spent the best 11 years of my life living at the beach in SD. Did not do any animal hunting at that time. I once bird hunted in SW ND and saw pheasants than on any other hunt.

Howdy Jim,

Nice to have another Californian aboard.

I do some writing about bass fishing myself (in fact, it's what I do for a living – I'm the Senior Editor of an online publication called BassFan.com). We likely know some of the same people.

Ed Zieralski. Steve Carson. Either of those names ring a bell?

I hunt in northeastern Montana, too. Didn't go this past year, but I'll be back up there come October.

Howdy Jim,

Nice to have another Californian aboard.

I do some writing about bass fishing myself (in fact, it's what I do for a living – I'm the Senior Editor of an online publication called BassFan.com). We likely know some of the same people.

Ed Zieralski. Steve Carson. Either of those names ring a bell?

I hunt in northeastern Montana, too. Didn't go this past year, but I'll be back up there come October.

I've known Ed since he was a student at SDSU and met with me at Lake Murray re: outdoor writing which he was just beginning to do for the Daily Californian. He later came to The Tribune to cover the Aztecs while I was doing the outdoors and years later we created the All Outdoors Radio Network with a third partner. I know Steve by name only.

With the demise of so many of the print magazines - how are things going with the on-line versions?

With the demise of so many of the print magazines - how are things going with the on-line versions?

Kind of depends upon the individual publication as to how they're doing. Quite a few advantages, though: No ink, no paper, no distribution issues, etc.

Hoping to see Big Ed at the Bassmaster Classic this year. He lost a bet for a steak dinner awhile back and I still haven't collected.

Back