An adventure in bird hunting

Uplandhunter67

Well we jumped off on Friday to catch opening day of sage grouse and the last weekend of mountain Sharptail. Bones, his son Jacob and his hunting partner Jim joined me and my hunting partner Dan.
We were unsure how the weather would bring but you don't kill birds sitting on the couch wondering.
The day started a bit overcast as we worked through the sage. The dogs working hard in front of us sniffing every bush and clump of weeds. They got birdie a few times and we thought any second we would see birds explode.
We covered a few more miles when a Sharptail exploded. It quickly topped the oak scrub and disappeared. 1st bird of the day and no shot were fired. A few more miles passed as we were headed back towards the truck when Jim?s dog Mya stops and points. A covey breaks and shots rang out. Jim took first blood as a Sharptail folded to his shot. We watched the few stragglers coast over to the next rise. We devised our plan and started pushing up singles. More shots ring out but birds sail by. We all laugh about our shooting. Bones and I work towards where we saw a single go down when another covey breaks. Shots again fail to connect as the birds sail away on to another rise. We work our way over meeting Jim and Dan then pushing through the oak scrub. Dogs work the scrub and birds explode. Two birds sail by me and I kill both in a nicely folded double. Bones knocks down two pointed by his dog Abbey. Dan and Jim continue hunting singles as Bones and I move down the valley. Ty moves towards a large clump of sage I see something move. It is black and brown and I think alright sage grouse, but it isn?t quite right. Just as Ty gets to the sage clump I realize what it is. A porcupine?... He took his trade elsewhere. No dogs were harmed in the encounter.
Jim and Dan encountered a few more singles but where unable to put any in the bag as they flew quickly behind the scrub.
We walked back towards the trucks to have some lunch and pick our next plan of attack.
After lunch we decided to drive around the backside of the STL. This would give the dogs and us a break. When we got on the back side Jim said he knew this area. He said if we drove up this road we could find a spot of public land that holds grouse. The road started out okay but then the sign read ?road may be impassible when wet?. Bones continued on. I shrugged my shoulders and followed as the road looked good and dry. As we got higher it started getting wet. No worries I thought? When I passed the two motocross guys covered in mud I got to thinking this might not be such a good idea. We finally got to our destination when the sky opened up and the rain fell. A decision was made to leave before the road really got bad. Bones lead the way and I followed. Unfortunately the I was picking up mud which was really clay. Eventually my tires wouldn?t turn anymore and the Escape came to a stop. This is where the fun began. Bones made it the two miles to the gravel road. He realized we weren?t behind him and he turned around and came back. We were like flies in a spider?s trap. Now we were both caught. After two hours plus to dig ourselves free we got to the gravel. The icing on the cake was flushing a covey of Sharptails right off the road and watching them fly by. Now hat the day was over we drove down to the hard pack and parted ways. Vehicles shaking from the clay stuck in the rims we returned to our hotel rooms. Beat, tired and muddy sleep came easy.
We started on Sunday with the sun shining. We moved through the sage again the dogs working hard looking for birds. We push up a small draw and a bird explodes. No shot as he flies away. Four more rise then another two and finally two more. They flush slightly out of range but land within sight. We push up to pick up the singles. Abbey points and a bird flushes and falls to the guns. We work some more of the ridges and push up some more birds. Two more fall. The party starts back towards the truck as rain clouds begin to build. As we walk up a draw Ty gets birdie and a sage grouse breaks from the cover. Dan shoots and it falls. A second bird rises and falls to Bones gun. Now with three sharpies and two sage grouse we head back to the truck as the rain can be seen moving closer.
Bones and I are walking when I hear something familiar yet strange in these mountains, the buzz of a rattlesnake. I look over and see it coiling back. Bones had just step squarely on it. After a split second of getting over the initial shock it was quickly dispatched by some 7-1/2?s. I am glad it was cool and the snake a bit sluggish. There was no harm done to either man or dog?. The walk back to the truck was uneventful but done with caution, another snake on our minds.
We took some photos and ate some lunch before parting ways. Heading home with memories of another great hunt. It was a first for three in our party. Dan, Jim and Bones had never killed Columbian sharptails. Plus Dan and Bones got their first sage grouse.
The dog work was fantastic and Abbey, Mya, and Ty deserve every bit of praise we can give them.

Great story and pictures. Have not had an opportunity to hunt grouse. I think I need to make a move next year.

Matt,
Which one are you in the pictures? :coolpics: Thanks for sharing the photos. I do enjoy your posts, although I am a bit jealous, however at least I can live vicariously through you guys ;)

Glad to year the dogs didn't get hurt from the porcupine :eek: That wouldn't have been good. I didn't see the sage grouse pictures? Did I miss them? I thought they were alot bigger than even a pheasant?

Glad y'all got our there safe and didn't get stuck, don't know if AAA would be able to get in there :p

I can't wait until pheasant season, then I can share some photos and adventures with y'all.....

Greg

Greg,
I'm the big black dog.....:D I'm never in pictures. Once and awhile you'll see me but rarely.
The sage we killed were smaller females. The were a good size but not as big as a male. They were about the size of a big rooster. There are two in the photos. One of Bones taking a picture of Abbey and then in the last photo on Ty's right. You can make out the big heavy beak and the darker color.

I don't like porky's. They can make a mess of a good bird dog in seconds... Or you for that matter. He was buried in a sage bush and could have been easily stepped on.

AAA would have never come in there. The worst part was just keeping the wheel wells clean. You'd make 50 yards then have to stop and start cleaning.. The mud was like modeling clay and hard to remove even with a stick. I know the road looks hard in the photos but it is not.

Looking forward to pheasant season. We can chase some roosters....

Matt

Well I am going to be a smart ass and say, if you are not in the pictures then how do I know you are there lol :D:rolleyes:

Looks like your big black dog turn a little brown ;) How old is he?

Greg

I have three credible witnesses.....

He turns 7 on December 28th.

I know...just giving you crap is all. However, money talks BS walks, like my old man always said :p

7 years old....that is a good age. I have hunted, trained, raised, bred, ran FT and HT with labs since 1992 and the best years for these awesome animals IMHO is between about 4 - 8yrs old....after 8 they slow a bit...I wish they would live forever.

Good times....

Greg

Greg,
I wish they would too but then you wouldn't get to know so many fine bird dogs....

I agree that between 4 and 8 they are in their prime. Especially pheasant dogs. There is so much to learn about a bird that can be so wiley. Ruining a young dog is easy to do on wild birds.
I hunt my labs until they don't want to hunt anymore. All my labs have hunted until 13. One of my males at age 12 would out hunt younger dogs. I don't hunt them as hard when they pass 9 or 10. I let them hunt at their own pace. None of my labs would let me hunt without them.

Matt

How many does this make for you? My 16 month old is my 6th lab. I had a female that lived to 16. Titan, the son of my first lab, hunted until he was about 13 and then his hunting days were over. That are amazing animals.

Ty is my 4th..... I have had the pleasure of hunting over one female and two males. They all hunted to 13. Great dogs. All black labs. I have never owned another hunting dog and don't know if I will.
I met Richard Wolters many years back when I was contemplating a pointing dog. Even had him sign a copy of Pointing Dog for me. Read it once and just kept with my labs. Tried and true unstoppable hard hunting tanks. I have never regretted my choice....

Good ole Dick Wolters :thumbsup::10sign: My first book was his Gun Dog book with my first lab Conan. I am with you, I don't think I would ever own any other breed of hunting dog. I have had only yellows and chocolates. Never owned a black lab.....

Do you know why there are so many black labs?
Scroll down for answer

Because anyone can train a black dog :D;):rolleyes:

Dick Wolters helped start NAHRA, the North American Hunting Retriever Association, of which I got involved with while stationed up at Elemndorf AFB in Anchorage, AK. I never got to meet him, wish I could have before his untimely death. I have always been a avid supporter of NAHRA. I have ran and judged NAHRA tests, good program and good people.

Greg

He was a great guy. Water Dog was my first book. It was my bible. I met him in Vermont at a sporting clays event. Friendly and well spoken. The true Dean of dog training. I had always admired him. I believe he was killed in an airplane accident in AK. Sorry you never had the chance to meet him.

My first labs were complete dogs with whistle and hand commands. All obiedient to a fault. I have slacked off in my training routines now and believe what Ben O Williams had to say about just let them hunt and leave all the fancy stuff out. Ty comes, sits, heels, stays, and hunts...... All I really need him to do. He was very hard headed when he was young and needed the assistance of an electric collar at times. He still wears it but I haven't used it in a few years now.

Actually I think he died flying one of those one man hobby type planes :confused:

Anyhow, funny thing about Wolters. So originally he didn't train with E-collars, he believed in the more conventional method. However, years later he had Woody Thurman (a pro down in North Carolina) collar condition his then black lab, I think the dog's name was duck soup (forget his call name).

I train with the collar. I also force fetch and all that.

Small world isn't it :cheers:

Greg

Yes it is a small world at times.

You are right about the way he passed. I was thinking he died in Alaska. Probably another one of my heros....

I believed in the conventional method. I still do. I do my best to never use the collar but once and awhile. Ty just absorbs the shock and shakes his head. He stops doing what he is doing and looks back at me. Now I'll just whistle or holler.

Greg,
I have met uplandhunter67 and I know why you do not see his pictures, his hunting buddies are afraid of breaking their cameras:) I just had to say that because you did not invite me. Really, glad you had a good time and enjoyed the picures, the smartest thing I ever did was buy a couple pairs of chains and a come along and a high lift jack and don't forget the wheel chocks to prevent the vehicle from rolling back as you jack it up. Also don't try to lift both front or rear tires at the same time as a friend learned the hard way.

Greg,
I have met uplandhunter67 and I know why you do not see his pictures, his hunting buddies are afraid of breaking their cameras:)

Copheasanthunter,
I'll remember that comment when we are smashing clays in March:D....

It was the mud building up in the wheel wells that did us in. It was like clay on a potting wheel. The tires would fill and then just pull and compress the mud thicker and thicker until the tires would no longer turn. I honestly don't think chains would have helped. The mud was almost impossible to even power wash off.
When I drive my real 4x4 (F-250/5 speed/Detroit locked/460 CID/Warn 8k winch) I don't even blink at this stuff. When and if I put chains on that monster it must be serious....

Well I have a few moments to post my thoughts on the trip. Another great one of new friends and great dog work and birds.
Sharpies are quick low fliers that demand a snappy gun and behaved dog. Always remember to replace spent hulls with live shells if your gun does not have ejectors. (I went click a time or two but manged birds with the top barrel.) Sage hens are BIG and they are somewhat ungainly, shots were easy on them. Cold vipers feel like wet elk sh** underfoot. Old folks can still walk me to death. My 18 month old GSP makes me proud of her every time we go out. ( Hard to be proud of her, or at least show it, when she has my wife's drawers in her jaws at the house). No matter how good on gas 4 cylinders aren't meant for muddin'. The true axiom for the year though; if road conditions are bad "it is Jim's fault".

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

He was a great guy. Water Dog was my first book. It was my bible. I met him in Vermont at a sporting clays event. Friendly and well spoken. The true Dean of dog training. I had always admired him. I believe he was killed in an airplane accident in AK. Sorry you never had the chance to meet him.

My first labs were complete dogs with whistle and hand commands. All obiedient to a fault. I have slacked off in my training routines now and believe what Ben O Williams had to say about just let them hunt and leave all the fancy stuff out. Ty comes, sits, heels, stays, and hunts...... All I really need him to do. He was very hard headed when he was young and needed the assistance of an electric collar at times. He still wears it but I haven't used it in a few years now.

Man that is a great post. When I was younger I had Labs that would do all the fancy stuff too. It seemed real important to have all those tools the couple times a year you might use them. Now I'm with you. My dogs are obedient, and hunt great. I think they are better hunters now without all the other stuff. Mine to wear collars. I think I use it once a year or so.

I really only use the collar for emergency purposes any more just in case I need to discourage him from doing something stupid like getting involved with porcupines, snakes, deer, or predators. Otherwise he is free to hunt and find birds for me to kill.

Back