Ammo debate

The fiochis sound intriguing might have to give em a try when I get low on the ammo I use now. I too am a walmart buyer and have used the pf federal wing shock copper plated #5s through an ic choke in the first barrel and 3 inch #4 remington nitros through a mod choke for the follow up shot. I've had pretty good results with that combo in my 20 guage.

I use them along with the Federal Wingshok when I can find what I want.

I think the Kent's do a good job. It's not plated lead ala copper or nickel, but it is polished hard shot. I think Kent calls it "Diamond" shot.

If you can buy it early Sept/Oct you can usually find quite a variety in load/shot sizes. At least that seems to be what I have experienced at the Cabela's near me. As the season wears on the selections usually dwindle. My favorite in the Kent is the 1 3/8 load of #5, kills em dead when I do my part.

I bought a case of the Kent Ultimate Fast Lead shells (#5) at Cabela's in Fort Worth yesterday. (4 1/4 drams, 1420 fps, 1 1/2 oz.) I have never had a rooster complain about them yet.

Dang, I'm wondering where you guys are getting those fiochi's at? In my neck of the woods I'm pretty sure they're $19 or $20 a box. I found some Express long ranges for $11.43, so I bought a case.

FYI I don't if yall know this or not but there are two different golden pheasant loads in 2 3/4" the standard golden pheasant loads are running 1250fps and then there is the GPX at 1485 fps both are 1 3/8 ounce loads but the knock down power and speed in the GPX is definetly noticable not to mention not having to lead the crossing shots as much. I prefer these to anything I have shot these loads will reach out there too. I have more clean kills and fewer cripples with these.

I shoot the 1250 fps loads, less recoil in the O/U. Don't really notice the difference between the two other than the whomp on the shoulder. Plus in the off season I shoot the Remington STS loads in 1250, so pretty much the same leads.

I was hoping my youngest would move up to one of my 16 gauge SXS's this year but he doesn't want to give up his 20 bore 870 youth model quite yet.

He's going on his first "late" season Pheasant trip this year and I was surprised to see the Fiochi Golden's out there in the 20 gauge 3" #5's with 1 1/8.
Small bore or not I can't imagine that isn't enough knockdown power (if adequately placed) to do the job even on late season birds.

I've not used the Golden Pheasant loads before so I'll be curious to see how it performs.

Brad

I love the debate on size, load and gun...

I have to say... i am a very strict traditionalist in many ways. Early season i use a SxS 14, 28 or 20. Only on a rainy day do i dig out the 12ga super black.... Later in the season i use a 20 SxS or depends on the day i may dig out a 12ga over under.... the key is not the size of gun but the choke your shooting, size of barrel and most importantly the shooter behind it.

I see individuals on this sight are passionate and spend lots of time scouting and looking at many aspects to better their chance. My question is do you pattern your guns or have you ever (truly) done this? If you have not all of the information in the world is not going to help you.

Point is When i shoot my 20ga SxS with a mod and full choke (fixed) i have a diffrent kill range with 5s than i do with 6s. The barrel length is what also affects this. I have 26inch barrels. I know that i have a far tighter pattern even on the mod choke side with 5's than i do 6's. Also the speed of the shell affects it.

Do yourself a huge favor and dont focus on the size of gun and all of that but shoot the gun you want to shoot and test it, i asure you that you will have more dead birds.

Nothing beats an english style stock 20ga SxS.

Back