Alpha vs Astro

Jfwhit

Are most upland hunters using the Alpha so everything is on one collar? Or do you prefer your GPS and ecollar separate? I like the tube style remotes. Is it too cumbersome to mess with a screen with gloves on? I'm getting back into bird hunting. Dog being trained. Looking into ecollars & GPS's. My intitial thinking was TT Pro 550 & Astro DC50. The all-in-one system is appealing. But with seperating the two, I feel has its advantages also. Everything is being updated and discontinued so fast. I want items to use for years. Maybe seperating them, I can get more life out of at least one item. Just brainstorming. Any thoughts, advice, experiences with much appreciated. I have a Brittany and hunt quail in Oklahoma.

I have had them both. Started with the Astro 220, then upgraded to the 320, and I now have an Alpha with 2 collars.

The Alpha is a better all around unit. I am glad that I replaced my Astro with the Alpha. Less collars, handheld units and charging equipment to deal with.

None of my Britts have ever worn an e-collar. Although I wanted to use one on my dogs when they chased deer (but all self corrected after one run).

The Astro 320 and DC 40 collar has been absolutely fantastic in my book. Accurate, timely ...

The signal does miss for a few second lag when in the woods, but patience is the easy remedy.

Best dog product I have ever owned and used. Ever.

I picked up a Alpha a week ago Thursday. The thing has been awesome until today.
Had about 1 1/2 hrs to hunt today, so we walk about a 1/2 mile and the collar all of a sudden disappears from the screen, touch the dogs name and the ? Is on screen....
So I recall my puppy, take the collar off and the thing wouldn't power on, when I left the truck it showed 3/4 battery.
So I plug it into the truck and 30 min later it says full charge???

Is this what you should expect for $800.00?
I returned my pro 100 for GPS and the thing powers off an its own with that much charge

I have had an Alpha for 3 seasons. Just added another collar so I can run two dogs. They make a training collar and a tracking collar for it. I really like it. If you get one, be sure to do a software update.

I can run it all day and usually mine is right around 50% power left, it is a couple years old, I bought a xtra battery but have not needed it yet.

Alpha 100

I had an Astro for three seasons and was pleased with the performance. I have used the Alpha since late last season and have had very good performance. This past April started using it for water work, NAVHDA duck search, and it has not missed a beat. Works well in the water and gave me a good sense of the dog's location when he was out of sight. Interesting to see where he has been when information is transferred to Google earth.

I wish such would have been available 50 years ago.

I got an Alpha last season and I'm reasonable happy with it. I added a second collar for this season and our new pup.

It's nice to have GPS and e-collar in one unit -- more compact; less stuff to mess with. Never used an Astro, but I'm sure it's great at what it does. I was torn between the two, but went with the Alpha to get all-in-one, and hopefully not fall behind the technology curve for a little longer.

There's a lot of things they could have done better. The software isn't that great, and the Base Station software for the computer is painfully slow. I've had a lot of issues moving data back and forth. But, it'll track your dogs.

Back