All around shell

I shoot 2 3/4 6s for pretty much everything upland where lead is allowed. I bought a cheap case of expert 6s when I got into upland and used them on quail, chukar, and pheasants with good results. Used them for woodcock and grouse this year also with good results, I see no need to switch. I am bouncing around different shells trying to find something a bit cleaner, but they're all 6s.

I shoot 2 3/4 6s for pretty much everything upland where lead is allowed. I bought a cheap case of expert 6s when I got into upland and used them on quail, chukar, and pheasants with good results. Used them for woodcock and grouse this year also with good results, I see no need to switch. I am bouncing around different shells trying to find something a bit cleaner, but they're all 6s.
What brand do you recommend?

2 2/4 copper plated lead, 5 shot. Federal or Fiocchi. If I have to shoot steel I go to 3" 4 shot. I hate steel.....

If quail numbers are up, I will carry some 8s (1 oz.). On opening weekend on pheasants I shoot 6s and 5s ( 1 1/4 oz., 2 3/4 inch shell); later just 5s for the pheasants. All brands seem to work fine.

Last edited:
I load my own 1 1/4 oz #5's with a moderate powder. They work just fine in any shotgun I've tried them in so I haven't seen any reason to change.

Jerry

For lead I use Golden pheasant #5's, 2 3/4 inch, ounce and 3/8 load.

nontox - I shoot Heavy Metal #3's, 3 inch, ounce and 1/4 load.

If I'm just as likely to see both birds I'll load 2 3/4" 7.5 - 1oz 20 gauge. #5 and #6 tear quail to pieces and 7.5 will still take down a cackle bird.

We don't change our loads for the most part in a particular shotgun.
My son shoots everything upland that flies with a 28 gauge , 30 grains of H110, and 7/8oz of #6 or 7 1/2 ( whatever I have on hand) plated shot
In my hammer double I use 3 drams of FFG and 1 1/8 oz of #6 plated shot.
If I am shooting my 16 hammer double I drop back to 2 1 /2 drams and 7/8 oz of plated shot.
In my modern 16 it's 23 grains of Longshot and 1oz of plated shot.
The 20 gets about 27 grains of Alliant Steel and 7/8 oz of shot.

I don't fuss too much about what choke, load , or even the speed of the load I am using , my main concentration is on the head of the bird.
WE have hunted with very diverse guns in all conditions and the only thing that matters to us when the dogs lock up is concentrating on the beak when the bird takes off!
This one was a classic low house station 8 shot with the 28.
Notice he's missing a head!!

An hour earlier my son took a rooster at 35 yards with his muzzle loader.
Wind was up, dogs were on, and so were we!:thumbsup:

Back