AL-48. 20 ga. Black Majic

Birdman2

I was picking up some birds today from a guy. He had the 20 ga. Black Majic. It had screw in chokes, 24" barrels. It didn't weigh 5 pounds. It felt like a long pistol. He said it was very scarce, wanted big bucks..Anybody got one?

They weigh 5 lb 10 ounce and are nothing but the old AL 48. I owned 3 or 4 of them. All struggled to cycle shells. I would think less $500 would be more than fair. You could get one on Guns International for that price. The Benelli Montefeltro is lighter and a superior gun.

They weigh 5 lb 10 ounce and are nothing but the old AL 48. I owned 3 or 4 of them. All struggled to cycle shells. I would think less $500 would be more than fair. You could get one on Guns International for that price. The Benelli Montefeltro is lighter and a superior gun.
Hey thanks for the info.

They may be rare. But not worth a bunch unless you are a collector. I won a 12 once. At the time the al48 was very popular. My brother was shooting a regular AL48 12. I had one friend with a 12 and another with a 20. Although the 12s were ok but needed constant care to cycle correctly. My brother carried a can of wd40 and a brush in his vest. I couldn't hit anything with the 20. Balance was way off for me. I sold the black magic without even putting it together.

If you can find the 620 VS, take a look. Ive NEVER had a problem with that thing. I have the 612 VS and it wont cycle light loads. Everything else is fine. It also has a different feel to it and a different “sight picture” if thats the right term. I see less of the rib with the 620.

I have one in the safe. Mine had the straight stock and was a nice gun and I shot it for pheasant and quail in Iowa for years. This statement isn’t fair “All struggled to cycle shells”. This shotguns require a little more maintenance and TLC than a Benelli but they are still a high quality, lightweight recoil operated shotgun. My 20 gauge AL48 Black Magic with the 24” barrel weighs less than my 20 gauge Montefeltro. If you can find one for less than $500 in good shape I would recommend you pick it up, they are not made anymore and they are nice, high quality shotguns.

Mine has the 28 inch barrel, weighs in at almost 6 pounds. Handles great but have considered shortening the barrel and having thin wall choke tubes installed. Right now it is Skeet 1 choke.

Back