Afton, IA

Dakotazeb

Anyone on this site live in teh Afton area? I'm headed to a NSTRA trial in Afton 3 weeks from today and was wondering if there is still any snow on the ground down there. What are you suppose to get out of the systems coming through in the next few days?

There's probably no snow down there. I live close to I-80 in SW and we have not had snow on the ground since about middle of Febuary. I see Afton is further south and east of me. Look out for deer when you are traveling in that area, I'd say look out for pheasants also but that would be wishful thinking.

That's about a half hour south and a half hour west of me. We have a couple spots with snow on the ground, but thats just it, one or two spots. It is pretty nice, although, supposed to get some snow this week.

We had a little snow coming down today, but all it did was create a muddy mess right now. Tomorrow has the possibility of 1-3" and maybe a little on Wednesday. Good luck!

Thanks guys. Hopefully this weather will straighten out by the end of the month. We still have a couple feet of snow on the ground up here. No field work for the dogs. Best I can to is road them down the country gravel roads to keep them in shape.

If we get any snow it will be gone by Friday 56 degrees. What day is the trial? If I got time , it would be fun to see the trial.

The trial is on Saturday and Sunday, March 26-27 at Three Mile Lake. Look me up if you get there. I drive a white '04 Ford Expedition and it will probably be the only vehicle with SD plates. My real name is George Eberle.

What time does the trial start? I might drive down on Sunday to check it out. I got a friend who wants me to go to trials with him and his dog.

I've been checking the weather forecasts down there. Looks like it's going to be cool, temps in the 30's, and a chance of rain/snow on Saturday. I don't mind the temps because it's easier on the dogs, but rain would suck. Oh well, been in those conditions before. :(

I thought we would be coming down to some nice warm weather. Instead when we arrive Friday afternoon there was snow on the ground. Most of the snow had melted by Saturday but both days of the trial we had temps in the mid 30's and a stiff wind out of the east. But overall it wasn't that bad.

My dog performed about as I would have expected but I was hoping for a little more. She is only 2 years old and still learning the NSTRA game. She had some nice runs just didn't find enough birds to place. She got very good scores for her finds, ground coverage, obedience and backing. I'm still having a problem on the retrieve in that she wants to spit the bird out when she gets about 3-4 feet from me. She backs like a champion. Sunday she had the highest backing score of the trial with a 73 (max is 75). She had the judges and the other handler oohing and aahing when she snapped to a stop for that back from about 80 yds. If fact the other handler was a dog trainer and he was really impressed and thankful he was in position to see her on that back. So I had a little to "hang my hat on". I just have to get the delivery on the retrieves corrected and she will be compete.

Last edited:
Afton Snow...

George:

Here's a web site that shows snow melt/existing snow that I've found helpful - "Intellicast."

Click "interactive weather" then click the snow icon, second from the right. Seems to be fairly accurate. Hope this helps.

Jon

Back