Afternoon quail hunting

Crossing shot

Looks like hot weather for the opener. I always quit quail hunting at 3 o'clock in cold weather. What about hot weather? After 3 o'clock in hot weather is a lot more comfortable than 1 o'clock. Hunt dawn and dusk in hot weather?

3pm has always been my quitting time for quail hunting as well. I'm thinking its probably not an issue from a cold standpoint but it would probably make the birds more susceptible to predators if they aren't able to covey up before dark. If I was strictly quail hunting then I would probably still quit by 3, if I was pheasant hunting I wouldn't be to worried about it if I bumped a covey, not much you can do about it anyways other than leave them alone.

Today, quail are fit. Plenty of food including insects. Not too cold at night so extra nutrition is not required for body heat. Before first freeze, so single quail would be safer alone from predators as compared to later in season.

Leaving quail alone at 3 pm in cold weather is not so much about the cold, it's just the time of year when birds should be feeding instead of looking for each other.

You want to be sure to give them enough time to get back together. If you only flush them once on the covey rise, they get back together pretty quickly most of the time. But if you get after the single hard late in the day, I suspect that some of them don't get back to the covey before dark.

Back