After Wile E. Coyote

We've been hearing coyotes just about every night for the last month and a half. I believe they are denned up in a woods 1/4 mile from us cause it gets pretty loud at times. My wife said she heard a shot last night about 2 am. I can't imagine what else they would have been shooting at. I got permission from my neighbor to hunt for them on his farm. I was talking to a friend about it and told him I was going to set a deer carcus out and wait for them. He told me it was illegal to bait coyotes in Illinois. I never heard that before about coyotes, only deer. Can anyone fill me in? Hate to lose my hunting privileges over a varmint. Talked to a few other neighbors in different directions, probably more than one pack within a mile of us and they need to be "taken care of".

We've been hearing coyotes just about every night for the last month and a half. I believe they are denned up in a woods 1/4 mile from us cause it gets pretty loud at times. My wife said she heard a shot last night about 2 am. I can't imagine what else they would have been shooting at. I got permission from my neighbor to hunt for them on his farm. I was talking to a friend about it and told him I was going to set a deer carcus out and wait for them. He told me it was illegal to bait coyotes in Illinois. I never heard that before about coyotes, only deer. Can anyone fill me in? Hate to lose my hunting privileges over a varmint. Talked to a few other neighbors in different directions, probably more than one pack within a mile of us and they need to be "taken care of".

birddog456,

I don't know about baiting regulation in Illinois. However, If you have two pack of yotes that close together you don't need to bait them. Calling them in should be easy. Challenge call in a packs territory should bring the pack in on the run. This will work once or twice then switch to a rabbit scream call. When you sent up being down wind is important. Oh I forgot to mention a decoy helps alot. Set it up wind of your hind. I use a fox pro-3 e-caller and hand calls. The decoy for challenge calling is a stuffed yotey male. I use a jack in the box sound activated decoy with the rabbit screams. Hope this helps you, drt some yotes.:)

This time of year (the dating season), howling is very productive, but however you call, always "squeek" first . . . you never know when you may have set-up right on top of one. And don't get in a hurry to rush out & pick-up/check-out the first one you shoot; lots of second & third opportunities can be lost doing that.

koja is right, They will come in after shooting the first one. Keep calling, it's not uncommon to take 2 or three in one stand. They have come in form behind me also, if they see the decoy there locked on it, and if you don't move they will walk or run right by you.

I've hunting some of those coyotes out your way birddog.:thumbsup: There's definitely too many of them!

You've brought up a good question in regards to baiting. I'm not sure on that one. Our regs don't really go into detail on it. It's got to be in there somewhere.:confused:

As far as hunting coyotes at night, I believe we can hunt coyotes at night during the fox season only. Once the shotgun deer season opens night hunting coyotes is off limits.

They're pretty thick around here too. I was talking to the guys in the COL State park in Dec and he said there are almost no deer left in the park. He's right. I used to drive through there and see a dozen or more deer every time, now you wont see a deer all summer. He even knew the 4 deer that were left and where they hang out in the park. I sure wish I could find the time to get out and hunt them. Im sure its shotgun only in McHenry Co. ? Boone Co ?
There were two totes chewing on a roadkill deer on 31 just S of RB High school a couple of nights ago.

Dang, got blanked this morning. Had one answer out of 4 stands & no shows. Did encounter a couple other hunters tho, and judging from the tire tracks I assume this area has seen some pressure. I'll head back to my old haunts next weekend. it was still fun to get out with my Son, experience a gorgeous sunrise & Nature's glory while calling & lurking in the brush filled with anticipation. Beats the dickens out of doing yard work or otherwise hanging around home. Now I'll take the pup for a romp.

They're pretty thick around here too. I was talking to the guys in the COL State park in Dec and he said there are almost no deer left in the park. He's right. I used to drive through there and see a dozen or more deer every time, now you wont see a deer all summer. He even knew the 4 deer that were left and where they hang out in the park. I sure wish I could find the time to get out and hunt them. Im sure its shotgun only in McHenry Co. ? Boone Co ?
There were two totes chewing on a roadkill deer on 31 just S of RB High school a couple of nights ago.

That's correct UplanHntr, shotgun only for deer.:) As far as the decrease in deer #'s on state lands go, a big player in that is our DNR. They've been shooting deer in high #'s (at night).

They shot 80 deer down the street from me last year, and 70 the year before. Not sure about this year. :confused: All meat goes to the food shelters.

Back