After the youth hunt at Nelson Slough

calamari

A friend went there this AM to see about doing a clean up on the youth hunts planted birds. There were 25 vehicles parked there. He kept right on driving.

A friend went there this AM to see about doing a clean up on the youth hunts planted birds. There were 25 vehicles parked there. He kept right on driving.

I've done the same thing in Mendota, just kept on driving out to Los Banos.

I ran into him at Raley's where he was buying too much beer but maybe enough to forget about his attempted hunt. I went by the place on the opener around noon and there were only 3 vehicles and I couldn't see anyone from the highway bridge. It's just plain a weird place after birds are planted.

There's something about the thought of free released birds that brings out the crowds.

Is it really that horrible? I thought about doing a cleanup since the pup is new I figured it had to be easier for her. Although her drive is so strong she doesn't care. I'm not one for a huge crowd with guns hunting the same little piece of land.

It can get crowded after release days but there is always the option to get away from the crowds if you are willing to burn the boot leather.:cheers:

I went by the place on the opener around noon and there were only 3 vehicles and I couldn't see anyone from the highway bridge.

You can bet it'd been combed over real good during the four hours prior to that -- like every square inch of it. There's easily enough people there to accomplish that on opening morning. It's a madhouse.

You can bet it'd been combed over real good during the four hours prior to that -- like every square inch of it. There's easily enough people there to accomplish that on opening morning. It's a madhouse.

You're right and like I said I went BY it. For some reason they have made it as inconvenient as possible to get to the place. No more driving down the levee from Sacto. Ave. Now you have to walk the levee where every other guys dog has already been or park at the other Sacto. access and walk in the opposite direction. I no longer stop at Nelson Slough. I go by it.

After Nelson slouth

I helped out for the Youth hunt and I can say there were a LOT of leftover birds there to clean up. A coworker of mine was there opening day and said there were a lot of cars but most people were pretty spread out. Got his 2 bird limit under an hour. Im sure there are still a few birds there most likely in the thick stuff next to the river.

-jb

The clean up hunt at O'neill FB drew 65 'applicants' plus 35 juniors. The juniors got priority of the 40 spots. I drew #16 and got in at 12:30. DFG said there were 100 birds left over but the 'orange army' could only bag 25.

Hunted it again Tuesday and saw 2 birds.

Biggest question I have is why were only 6 juniors able to navigate the DFG website well enough to participate in the Sunday pm hunt?

O'Neil Forebay

I brought my dog out there on Saturday to help out the kids. There were a lot of birds left after the AM and PM hunts on Saturday. I think only 12 or so birds were taken in the AM.

My experiences in the ever more distant past at both the Nelson Slough and Little Dry Creek youth hunts was a combination of laughing so hard it hurt and stark terror. The shooting was prodigious and most of the youth hunters at the hunts I attended ran out of shells before they ran out of birds to shoot at.
The last time I went to one was at Little Dry Creek and I noticed both I and the future area manager for Gray Lodge had mud down the front of our shirts from hitting the ground when the kids swung on birds and we "crossed the tube" when they seemed to lose situation awareness. Nobody got hurt but it was a little crazy. There are few times when I can recall having so much fun standing up...on the average.:)

Back