Advice on Millville

BryanW

Hey all. I'm headed to Millville this weekend. I will be hunting alone and without a dog. I am real new to the Pheasant hunting scene. I only have two hunts under my belt and they were both at a preserve with a guide and his dog. So I was just lookin for some insight on the area and any strategies I might want to employ. Well, that's about it, thanks.

It would sure be nice to find a buddy to go with! Especially if he has a dog, either way both the dog and hunter will make you more successful. As a kid I wandered around, usually a bushy hell hole to route them up in dense cover. My goal was to see a bird! After getting hard knock education, I shoot one without it being a mistake.....by the bird! I would read all I could, the tactics of the previous generations are still applicable. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Bryan,

Welcome to the site! It's been a while since I've been to Millville, we knew it as Edward G. Bevans. It's a large WMA that has a lot of upland habitat. I know there has been some work done for wild quail nearby, and not to long ago some Bobwhites called it home. The State manages hedgerows and keeps some travel ways open for the hunter stalking along with out a dog, but it's going to be very tough without a good dog. There's a lot of thick cover for the birds to hide in. Without a dog, I would stick to the hedgerows!
I think Saturdays will be very crowded, if it's possible you might want to try it later in the day or on non stocking days. Good luck, be safe, and report back on how you did.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the area but I would recommend going during the week. I second hunting the hedgerows but if you want to push a SMALL field remember to zig-zag pausing when you switch directions, this will get the birds nervous and sometimes flush!

Yeah I did notice that Saturday is a stocking day and was wondering how much of a madhouse it was going to be. I actually live a hell of lot closer to Assunpink, but that place is like a warzone. People there fire on anything that moves, lol. So I thought Millville is a good drive away and wouldnt attract the New York crowds. I will try it later in the day....gives me an excuse to got to Cabelas early :). I will definitely stick to the hedgrows. Thanks all for the heads up and good advice.

Back