Advice needed: 10 year old lab that has never hunted

Hi all,

New uplander here. Hunted big game for 35+ years but just got into pheasant hunting here in Western Washington State. I have a 10 year old lab as a family pet that’s never hunted. He retrieves the ball all the time and his other toys from around the house. I want to take him out in the field and start to get him oriented to outdoors and eventually pheasants but…should I? How do I start with him? I don’t have a lot of money to spend on trainers or equipment. I thought of just getting a 25’ lead take him afield and see how he does for a couple hours. Thoughts? Thank you!

Justin

Hi all,

New uplander here. Hunted big game for 35+ years but just got into pheasant hunting here in Western Washington State. I have a 10 year old lab as a family pet that’s never hunted. He retrieves the ball all the time and his other toys from around the house. I want to take him out in the field and start to get him oriented to outdoors and eventually pheasants but…should I? How do I start with him? I don’t have a lot of money to spend on trainers or equipment. I thought of just getting a 25’ lead take him afield and see how he does for a couple hours. Thoughts? Thank you!

Justin
Go for if. Take him and see what happens. Don’t expect too much but both of you will have fun
Throw a scented bumper for him in the weeds
Whatever happens it will be better than sitting at home watching reruns of Oprah

My first question would be about health. How long can he play fetch for or does he get taken on hikes/runs?
Second is how well he does off leash, is recall good?

If both of those are good then I would take him first without a gun and see how he enjoys birds, don't ever shoot something if he isn't over the moon for birds.

If he loves it, then you can start doing some backyard training like throwing a frozen or dead bird to retrieve and whatever else from there. Basically any hunting retriever book and treat him like a puppy at first.

Well, you got nothing to lose. LittelBighorn's got it covered. You MUST get him in shape, or he will probably get hurt or worse. Don't expect miracles. Have some common sense, he is 10, after all, and that is often towards the end of a dogs hunting career. Good luck.

My first question would be about health. How long can he play fetch for or does he get taken on hikes/runs?
Second is how well he does off leash, is recall good?

If both of those are good then I would take him first without a gun and see how he enjoys birds, don't ever shoot something if he isn't over the moon for birds.

If he loves it, then you can start doing some backyard training like throwing a frozen or dead bird to retrieve and whatever else from there. Basically any hunting retriever book and treat him like a puppy at first.
Thank you for the reply. I’ll certainly take all of this into consideration and start slow and make trips short!

Well, you got nothing to lose. LittelBighorn's got it covered. You MUST get him in shape, or he will probably get hurt or worse. Don't expect miracles. Have some common sense, he is 10, after all, and that is often towards the end of a dogs hunting career. Good luck.
Thank you for the reply! Yes, short trips and patience.

What Gim said...do that before anything. Get someone to help, have them fire from a distance and slowly & randomly approach them.. if that isn't an issue, a bit of conditioning and hit some small parcels first before turning him out in a 1,000 acres. Good luck, hope he works for you.

I might even start him on a check cord. Last year in So. Dak one of the hunters brought a dog that had never been in the field before. He fired the first shot and the dog took off and was not found until later that night laying in a cornfield a half mile away when the farmer spotted him in the tractor lights. I start my pups in the truck at the gun range. Then slowly introduce them to the louder guns with windows open then out of the truck. Never had an issue.

Hi all,

Justin

Try it and see. Youll need to either have very short hunts or spend a few weeks conditioning him though, 10yo house labs will not last long on an upland hunt as their lungs and joints are pretty weak usually. If he returns when called, and is okay with an ecollar incase he bolts, then you really dont have much to worry about. He will stumble on a few birds and get the hang of it eventually.

I wouldnt do a lead, just work on keeping him real close to you.

Also there are several retriever clubs in western Washington.
Typically fun for the dog and educating for the trainer.
What city are you closest to in western Washington?

I might even start him on a check cord. Last year in So. Dak one of the hunters brought a dog that had never been in the field before. He fired the first shot and the dog took off and was not found until later that night laying in a cornfield a half mile away when the farmer spotted him in the tractor lights. I start my pups in the truck at the gun range. Then slowly introduce them to the louder guns with windows open then out of the truck. Never had an issue.
Thank you and great advice. Do you have a recommendation for a check cord?

Get a training pistol that shoots the 22 crimps and a few pigeons. Start with a shooter about 100 yds away and have the gunner fire a shot after you throw a bird or a bumper and the dog is in pursuit. Move in 10-20 yds each training session depending on how the dog reacts. With in 2 weeks you will a dog ready for a shotgun but start with a shotgun in the same manner as the training pistol. Don't shortcut the dog on gun fire conditioning. I would not worry about a lead rope at this point. Just take the dog to a prairie and let him explore for 30 mintues or so. Once you start introducing pigeons in training, he will start searching in the field. I sent you links for the gun and ammo. Don't start with .22 blanks. Or you may have a gun shy dog. Use the acorn crimps and combine that with something the dogs likes, birds, bumpers, and food.

Get a training pistol that shoots the 22 crimps and a few pigeons. Start with a shooter about 100 yds away and have the gunner fire a shot after you throw a bird or a bumper and the dog is in pursuit. Move in 10-20 yds each training session depending on how the dog reacts. With in 2 weeks you will a dog ready for a shotgun but start with a shotgun in the same manner as the training pistol. Don't shortcut the dog on gun fire conditioning. I would not worry about a lead rope at this point. Just take the dog to a prairie and let him explore for 30 mintues or so. Once you start introducing pigeons in training, he will start searching in the field. I sent you links for the gun and ammo. Don't start with .22 blanks. Or you may have a gun shy dog. Use the acorn crimps and combine that with something the dogs likes, birds, bumpers, and food.

Great advice and thank you for the links!

Back