Advice foe harvesting big bluestem

bigeyes

Anybody have experience harvesting warm native grass seed? I have access to some from a neighbor but am not sure if I need to dry it or how to store it until next spring. Also should I try to mash the seed heads so that some of the seed makes it out of the pod or should I just plant it in the pod. I really want to see if I can get some started on my land next year.

How are Your plans to harvest?
By hand, combine?
It depends on so much how dry/mature the seed is.

It's harvesting a tiny seed! You need either extremely expensive equipment, or an old Allis Chalmers "all crop" combine, screens are available, and with new canvas, which can be had from the Amish merchants, you should be fine. That's what I use. You might be advised, that planting is just as specialized, I use an old JD alfalfa drill, with grass boxes on the back. Any tractor will be of sufficient weight will handle it. I have used an Farmall M, used an 8N, a couple of times, now a Massey 35 Perkins diesel. If you have a hilly terrain, bigger will help you, as well as LPTO. If you have a small project, just use a hand sickle bar, a bag, hang till dry, a hoe to tear the ground, and to provide ground contact. Basically to drill. Try to recruit young people to hoe and backfill, for a conservation project, boy scouts, girl scouts, even some pheasants forever chapters might help. The state conservation agency rents drills in Missouri for example.

Bluestem

I am just looking to pick some by hand and try to get a couple acres started. I have about a 5 gallon buckets worth of heads. I am just wondering how to keep them good ever the winter. Also I was not sure if I should try to mash them up and get the seed out of the casing or just plant as is.

I think your early on the harvest? Think about another 4-6 weeks. Air dry and pack in the basement.
When you go to seed, if you dont have access to a native drill
You can cut them with sawdust, chips and broadcast.

Yeah air dry it right away. Spread out on a tarp in the sun.
If it was greenish when picked, couple sunny days to dry.
If You wait or if the Big Blue is dry and mature when You pick it You could put it in a gunny sack and hang in a dry place.
It sure wouldn't hurt to separate the seed some.

Seed

Yeah, I was not real sure when to pick them. It seems like there is a mix of heads that are still green and kind of in a husk of sorts all the way to very brown dry looking heads. Many of the purple/brown heads that are fanned out seem to have a seperate dark brown piece hanging from them. I assumed that is the seed which is why I started harvesting them now. Should I wait a few weeks? I am in central MN.

It's to early to harvest the Big Blue Where I'm at. I would wait until the seed heads are all brown and dry. (looks like a crows foot) seed heads are 3-4 inches long.
Best to get the seed on a sunny dry day, strip with your fingers instead of cutting will separate the seeds better.

Collect big bluestem seeds when the seed head no
longer has a creamy center, usually in September and
October. Dry seeds in paper bags for 2 to 4 weeks.
Seeds can be stored up to 7 months at 50oF and 50%
humidity. Cold stratification (40oF, 35% humidity)
may improve germination uniformity.

Too early for my stand also. (NW Iowa)

A frost seeding will increase your germination rate, assuming your soil prep is adequate.

Seed

I was going to try to upload a couple photo's but I always get the upload failed message. My .jpeg is 1.38mb which appears to be below the limit. Any idea how a guy can upload a photo on here :mad:

You'll have too upload to photobucket. Then copy the url. I dont think attachment work anymore

Was looking at some big bluestem night before last. Central Ks

Dont believe it was ready...guessing 25 percent of it was close?

I couldnt strip the seeds anyhow.

You can cut them with sawdust, chips and broadcast.
I had not heard of using sawdust chips as a carrier, can you buy sawdust chips or do you have to find a mill?

If sawdust chips works for prairie grass would it also work for other small seeds like clover?

FB

Last edited:
I had not heard of using sawdust chips as a carrier, can you buy sawdust chips or do you have to find a mill?

If sawdust chips works for prairie grass it would also work for other small seeds like clover?

FB

I've never actually done it. I have a small landpride drill. It was suggested to me after I couldn't get it to meter right on a blue grama seeding. Never had the opportunity to try it sense. I do know people who will broadcast seed at low rates premixed in dry fertilizer. Becks corncob bedding might work? Looks about ideal if it would meter?

I think you could broadcast clover. Even just using rice as a carrier i think would work.

Last edited:
I had good lucky with dry fertilizer in an old JD in the grass seeder. I'm sure wood chips will work. I also spread it out of an endgate on a manure spreader, but you need to cultipack it, or let freeze and thaw work it in. I came upon a brillion a couple of years ago, if the brushes are good it will do it it straight. Only thing about wood shavings, it stays on the ground forever, seems like there is some agricultural reservation to that. I know this because I spread horse manure from stalled horses. I believe there are shavings I recall, I spread two years ago!

I have used sawdust in a broadcast spreader before for forbs and grasses. I primarily do this to "bulk up" the mixture so I know it meters out properly, not dumping the whole works on one pass.

BBS is just starting to "bloom" here now..

Sideoats is ready to harvest.

LBS hasn't put a seed head on yet..

Bluestem seed

Ok, I took your advice on photobucket and here is my attempt at getting some pics up.

Seed I have collected and dried:

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/jh2013hunt/media/0829132100_zpsde990838.jpg.html?filters[user]=137322680&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/jh2013hunt/media/0829132100_zpsde990838.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=137322680&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0&_suid=1378213775770024662055162152752

Seed that I think is dropping off the head already?

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/jh2013hunt/media/0829132100_zpsde990838.jpg.html?filters[user]=137322680&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/jh2013hunt/media/0829132059a_zps86c10cc2.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=137322680&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=1&_suid=1378213775770024662055162152752

Wondering if these heads are still too early to be picked?

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/jh2013hunt/media/0829132100_zpsde990838.jpg.html?filters[user]=137322680&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/jh2013hunt/media/0829132057b_zpsd14d2dfd.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=137322680&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=2&_suid=1378213775770024662055162152752

Im certainly no expert, but I think you are too early..

Heres my patch last week. But, Im several hundred miles north also.

meadow.jpg

Back