Adopt a wildlife area

shorthairs4life

I am in the process of adopting a wildlife area and looking to see if anyone is interested in participating. Typical involvement of time to keep area clean, reposting of signage and other basic maintenance would be involved. If your interested please reach out and based on the geographic area of those wanting to participate we can choose one that is centrally located. (I do have a few in mind).

Not knowing this opportunity even existed and not knowing anymore than youve posted, Im open to discussing. For reference, Im 6 miles straight south of Lake Geneva. I stomp around Bloomfield quite a bit

Last edited:
Awesome! I'm looking to start the first year with just 5 or 6 people. I'm sure we will all have a lot to learn. After we get a handle on it then I think we can expand the group. The DNR will provide some training to ensure we are prepared to take on the task and help with some equipment. Right now we have 3 interested and looking for 3 more. After the group is established, I will coordinate a meeting for the group and we can get to know each other and vote on an area convenient for all.

Uplandhntr

Please PM your contact info. We have 4 committed folks that would be willing to work your suggested property and we have a 5th that I will hear back from on today.
I'm going to submit the completed app this week and then get back in touch with everyone on next steps and try to coordinate a meeting time to get a unified vision together.

I am in the process of adopting a wildlife area and looking to see if anyone is interested in participating. Typical involvement of time to keep area clean, reposting of signage and other basic maintenance would be involved. If your interested please reach out and based on the geographic area of those wanting to participate we can choose one that is centrally located. (I do have a few in mind).

Kudos to you and your group! I have the Kansas Muzzleloaders coming in on Saturday to do a work day. I've had several such groups over the years, but NEVER a coordinated effort by any sportsmen to volunteer! Yes, one person every now and then, but never more than two. Great effort folks! If you commute, I'm only 12-14 hours away!

I'd drive to Kansas to help if I can get some quail and pheasant spots for next year.:cheers:

Seriously though you bring up a good point. Very few people will jump at the chance to help but at the same time EVERBODY complains of issues like garbage,poorly labeled boundaries,and other maintenance issues.

Last edited:
It's easy for folks to complain about what they don't understand. It gets a lot harder to complain when they find out just how much work is involved in getting a wildlife area ready for the fall, or better yet, for the reproduction season. If the area is diverse in various habitats, there is less of a chance for the manager having an "off" season. What is normal is having a variety of demands on one's time at the same time. Training, meetings, open seasons, law enforcement, beaver problems, burn season, and opening the campground all fall at the same time and the manager has to prioritize getting the most important work done first and fitting in the other tasks as time allows. If a crew showed up and eliminated some of those, the manager could do a better job on the remaining shorter list. The largely unknown secret of managing a wildlife area is that, if we didn't have to fix things that visitors damage unnecessarily, we could get a lot more projects done that might improve the area's ability to produce wildlife. Rutted roads, cut fences, pulled down signs, trash, and vandalism all take away from habitat work. In Kansas, we average 7000 acres per public land division employee. Check with any farmer and he'll/she'll tell you that is a big chunk. I doubt Wisconsin is much different.

Last edited:
Kudos to you and your group! I have the Kansas Muzzleloaders coming in on Saturday to do a work day. I've had several such groups over the years, but NEVER a coordinated effort by any sportsmen to volunteer! Yes, one person every now and then, but never more than two. Great effort folks! If you commute, I'm only 12-14 hours away!

Thanks Troy! I may reach out to you from time to time asking for help with work plans I will need to submit. I'm hoping in the near future (hopefully next season '17) to get some food plots established.

I agree with prior comments. Always time to complain about lack of game but crickets when you get the opportunity to make change.

Thanks Troy! I may reach out to you from time to time asking for help with work plans I will need to submit. I'm hoping in the near future (hopefully next season '17) to get some food plots established.

I agree with prior comments. Always time to complain about lack of game but crickets when you get the opportunity to make change.

Happy to help if I can. It's funny, got a complaint passed on to me today from a turkey hunter from last season that hunted here late season for turkey. He didn't have any luck and blamed it on our grazing program. As I've discussed often before, the two driving forces that pushed the evolution of our prairie plants and now must be used to maintain them are two of Leopold's axe, cow, match and plow. Grazing and fire are mandatory to maintain NWSG prairie. If I fail to use them, the prairie will turn to shrub land first, then woodland. It's happening even with fire to some extent. The grazing has numerous plant-specific effects as well as structural effects on the soil and chemical effects as well. Further, it extends the time between burns which gives us time to manage other things too. On a heavily hunted area like mine, turkey and many other species see so much pressure that they are either largely unapproachable late in the season or have moved off of the area. It's easy to suppose other things from a portrait view but, if you can peel back the layers, the obvious is not causative, it's just circumstantial.

Back