Adding Habitat

We have been hunting with the same farmer in SD for many years. We always pay him a small fee for letting us hunt and utilizing his land. This year he informed us due to the lower bird numbers and loss of habitat he is taking 100% of what $ we give him and using it for additional habitat and to improve existing habitat.

I know pay to play gets many of you bickering back and forth and I did not post this for that reason. I believe this is a great idea and shows that this farmer like many other farmers cares about the habitat/game animals. If you pay to play you should suggest this to your farmers as well.

This alone will not bring back the pheasant numbers but every piece of quality habitat makes a difference!

We have been hunting with the same farmer in SD for many years. We always pay him a small fee for letting us hunt and utilizing his land. This year he informed us due to the lower bird numbers and loss of habitat he is taking 100% of what $ we give him and using it for additional habitat and to improve existing habitat.

I know pay to play gets many of you bickering back and forth and I did not post this for that reason. I believe this is a great idea and shows that this farmer like many other farmers cares about the habitat/game animals. If you pay to play you should suggest this to your farmers as well.

This alone will not bring back the pheasant numbers but every piece of quality habitat makes a difference!

that's pretty outstanding....good for him!

I was having this discussion with the guy where we hunt. I don't farm and really have little knowledge of what it costs to put in habitat. I don't consider what I do to be pay to play. It is more of a trade off. I pay some cash, in return he leaves some idle land and plants some food plots. This year he had three plots of sorghum. Man were the birds in there. In a down year, they were still fairly loaded. After talking to him about costs, I came to a realization that he isn't getting rich by any means. My two parties hunts paid for a couple of the plots. This spring the boys and I are going to go up and plant trees for a couple days. I think it will be a great way to spend a few days. May bring the boat and fish.

GB and Carp, people like you will have a LOT to do with saving the future of Wild rooster hunting.
Thanks, and good for You. I hope You guys are an example to all. :10sign:

I added sixty plus acres of tall wheat grass with numerous forbs this year and another pain in the neck tree grove to my farm. I'm proud of it but I'm probably just as proud of donating $1,000 to a poaching prevention fund in Zimbabwe to purchase equipment of boots, sleeping bags etc. and pay game scouts to protect a conservation area. The Chinese are infiltrating the country with absolutely no regard to sustainable wildlife management. If you can stand tall and not buy Chinese in your life in a small way the wild areas with the wildlife in this world may have a better chance.

I have no toleration for poachers domestic or foreign.

Last edited:
Back