Acres for game bird farm?

Rich.

What would you say the minimum acreage should be for a game bird farm. Primary focus would be raising quail, chukar, and pheasant. Obviously size will depend on how many birds I would plan on raising but I'm looking for a general idea as to a starting point.

An acre or two of open land would be enough to raise a bunch of birds.

If your game farm is a business, charging customers to hunt, I believe each state has regulations that outline land size et al. South Dakota has quite a lengthy posting on their hunting web site. Not sure about other states...

You can raise a lot of quail in a flight-pen of about 16-20' across, and around 100' long. For pheasants if you are breeding or flight training you need a lot od space, around 8'x8' per bird. otherwise they fight.

If your game farm is a business, charging customers to hunt, I believe each state has regulations that outline land size et al. South Dakota has quite a lengthy posting on their hunting web site. Not sure about other states...

I don't plan on offering hunts. Just raising some birds on unused land to give me something more to do and maybe make a few bucks to offset the bird dog hobby.

You can raise a lot of quail in a flight-pen of about 16-20' across, and around 100' long. For pheasants if you are breeding or flight training you need a lot od space, around 8'x8' per bird. otherwise they fight.

I'm thinking of starting with Bobwhites and Chukars for the first year.

Back