ACL surgery advice

winchester21

Gents!
Merle, my supremely spoiled pheasant finder is a 7 1/2 year old GWP and began exhibiting symptoms of a torn ACL about 2 months ago. We conducted radiographs last week and while it's not a definitive method for diagnosis, all signs point towards a partial tear. Of course, the timing of this couldn't be worse as I have surgery scheduled for November 8, two days before the Colorado opener. Needless to say, we're bumming big time.

Anyways, I thought I'd check with you all in hopes that you can share your experiences and any advice you might have to offer.
Thanks!

which procedure are you doing? One of my Goldens had both knees done with TTA and it all ended fine. Costly but fine. Expect the other side to blow too.

My Brittany was 10-years old at the time of a complete ACL tear in his right rear leg in January 2012. I had the procedure done (the fishing string method) and in fall of 2012 he was back in top form. He hunted productively for me until 2015 when I shot my last wild bird over him. He is now 15.5 years old and, with the exception of a slight light limp now, never had any issues with the ACL. Bottom line: the surgery is effective. I'm sorry about the poor timing of this injury for you and your pup.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the notes. UplandHnter, to answer your question, we're doing the TPLO method...my vet (close personal friend) recommended it over other options. I don't know much of anything about it but am trying to educate myself. On a positive note, Merle is out this morning with a friend of mine on a canned hunt. It will likely be her last hunt before the surgery unless I feel inclined to take her out to Nebraska for a day. We'll see how much pain she's in tomorrow after today's relatively light hunt and decide accordingly.

Back