Ace Up My Sleeve

I had one last year that I shot it, never saw a feather come off, never saw a change in flight pattern, and it kept flying higher and higher - I swear it was 100 yards in the air and flying off into the distance, a sure miss. Then all of a sudden like a helicopter that just had it's motor die, it fell straight down out of the air. Found it laying dead right where it went down, maybe 150 yards ahead.
most likely either a head shot or a lung shot, seen it before.

Especially if you're young like me, because I'll see where they land a half mile away and track them down, shoot at them 2 more times, track him another quarter mile and then arkansas the bugger to finish the duel.
GH, I actually saw a video of almost that exact scenario, but even wilder! After being tracked all over creation & being shot & shot at MANY times, eventually the wounded bird flew high up into a tree!! Dude shot him twice more!! The bird gets hung up in the tree, still a bit alive. After the guy shakes the bajeezus out of the poor tree, the bird decides to flutter down & land almost at his feet!! Will to survive led to complete surrender I think. Either way it was an easy retrieve for the dog.

Last edited:
most likely either a head shot or a lung shot, seen it before.
I'm pretty sure lung, or at least somewhere in the chest cavity. Even if they get a pellet through a relatively unimportant part of their head, I think they crash land pretty quickly. Of course, if they get brained, they drop & do the crappie flop. Easiest ones to find.

GH, I actually saw a video of almost that exact scenario, but even wilder! After being tracked all over creation & being shot & shot at MANY times, eventually the wounded bird flew high up into a tree!! Dude shot him twice more!! The bird gets hung up in the tree, still a bit alive. After the guy shakes the bajeezus out of the poor tree, the bird decides to flutter down & land almost at his feet!! Will to survive led to complete surrender I think. Either way it was an easy retrieve for the dog.
That sounds epic and pathetic simultaneously. Pathepic??? :ROFLMAO:

So many memories I relive after reading all these. Last year my dad and I were hunting, we hit a bird that sailed off into a row of cedar trees. We walked up and down that row twice and neither dog got birdy. After the 2nd pass through, we stood at the end dumbfounded, and then right in front of us at eye level was the rooster sitting in the tree looking at us. My dad grabbed it out of the tree and rung it's neck.

I'm pretty sure lung, or at least somewhere in the chest cavity. Even if they get a pellet through a relatively unimportant part of their head, I think they crash land pretty quickly. Of course, if they get brained, they drop & do the crappie flop. Easiest ones to find.
Crappie flop hahaha love it

Back