A question to you Sweet 16 owners/shooters

Beefyz

Hi. Recently purchased what i've always wanted; a '61 Sweet 16. I also shoot a Parker double and some of my ammo stash is over 20yrs old and would be considered light against some of the "HV" stuff out there today. Some of the Sweet's i earlier considered had cracked fore ends and since we all know about the importance of setting the rings properly, i was wondering if the ammo could have had something to do with it. I called Browning as i needed an owner's manual and started a conversation on this topic also. He answered "philosophically"; while not saying the HV stuff was at fault, he questioned why would i want to use some of this ammo that wouldn't be necessary anyway and why would i want to chance putting this ammo that didn't even exist at the time through my classic. I purchased a rebuild kit from Art's Gun Shop & asked a smith there his opinion on this subject figuring most of their work is on these shotguns. His statement was that as long as the rings are set properly & functioning and the gun is lubed properly, there should be no problem with todays HV shells. Many other sites/blogs on this subject consider >1,300fps as HV. Noble has a load @ 1,330 & Federal one @ 1,425. With high dram equivalents & velocities such as these, i don't see how both shoulder & gun wouldn't be getting a beating.
Now i'm familiar with the "debates" over speed kills ( if not only the birds but your shoulder and how about the gun), HV shells are not necessary anyway and are made for the huge profits they bring, and HC loads don't usually pattern well etc etc etc. I NOT asking about that here. YOU guys are the ones shooting a "light" Sweet 16. Do you shoot anything over 1,300 fps in your older 16s circa 50s thru 70s without problem or incident. This is for LEAD or lead plated loads only and only for 16s made during this period.
Thank you for your time & consideration in answering.

I have a 1960 SweetSixteen that I've owned for years. I've shot many shells through the gun that were over 1,300 fps without any issues what so ever. I've use a lot of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant that are 1.310 fps and also the Federal PF rounds at 1,425 fps. Recoil was not an issue with either load. I would suggest you pattern any shells you put through your sweet to see which work the best in your particular gun.

Just to add to my above post. My 1960 Sweet has a 26" vent-rib barrel choked IC. I now have a new A5 Sweet and that is getting the bulk of the shooting these days. I love the light weight.

I have both a 1968 Sweet 16 and another one made in 1973. I've also used the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads with no problem---but have killed most of my roosters --and every one I deserved to get---with the Remington yellow/green box 1 1/8 ounce load in #5 and #6. No problems with feeding or shell ejection and they cycle the action reliably and kill the birds dead. Also, I have the new A5 lightweight Sweet 16 and can shoot anything including non-toxic through it. I take care to clean these autos thoroughly after each outing.

In my experience the shells arent what cracks the forearms. Its the slamming the action closed without firing a shell. Ive been around Brownings all my life and 95% of cracked forearms are from this or overly tightening the cap in the forearms. Again just my experience and dealing with this subject.

Its the slamming the action closed without firing a shell.
I've never heard this. Can you elaborate at all? Just seems unlikely to me.

This is vaguely related to the topic. It relates closely to my 1991 Sweet 16, but I've noticed it on many makes/models. Magazine caps can have a tendency to get super tight once the gun is shot. So I usually tighten mine; then back them off a tick or 2. I don't enjoy putting a wrench on them to remove them.

Pulling the action back in a locked open posistion. Then hitting the button and letting it slam shut. The barrel is not going back because of a shot and coming back with the action so its like hitting the close position harder than normal. We used to sell them in our store and have seen it many times. You have to have the cap tight ,just not tighter than hand tight.

I have the new A5 sweet sixteen and I am still trying to find the right combination with the gun. On one of my outing I shot Federal #6 1300 fps or a bit higher ( not sure as it was not marked) and it jammed a couple of times. Then I have shot #6 in other brands and no issues. To me and hunting behind GSPs velocity is not as important as a good target mount. I need to experiment with the velocity a bit more but with limited shells availability today, it may take a while.

"I shot Federal #6 1300 fps or a bit higher ( not sure as it was not marked) and it jammed a couple of times".

Hmmm.... makes me think about the conversation I had with Browning rep when i got my OLD '61 Sweet. I was wondering about using those HVs in my old Lady. NOT that i thought It couldn't take it, its just that that HV stuff was not around in '61 and i wondered if it would make a difference. He answered my "philosophically"; why would you want to do that to "the old gal". It ain't necessary in hunting, it wasn't even around in '61, and you could be causing some additional wear on a gun that's 61 yrs old to begin with. Plus, not to mention the increased recoil factor & $$$ for the price of these new loads. I even checked with a few smith friends of mine. The Rep didn't say i couldn't use them. Was just questioning why. The smiths had no problem with that. All they would say as long as the springs/rings are set right, you should have no problem using HV.
I have read with great interest all those articles about speed kill & velocity, HV vs standard etc.etc. I didn't need them 40 yrs ago, i don't need them now. I'm sure others will chime in on how HV is the next best thing after whole wheat white bread. That's ok, shoot what you want.

NOW, makes me wonder about yours. Ever jam before? It happens just using these shells ? Gun clean ? Springs/rings right ? Was the rep onto something ? Is the gun telling you something ? Betcha it kicked like hell..... Bottom line from what i've been reading is you might want to use them at some point or just to see what they are all about or in special situations, but you wouldn't want to shoot a round of skeet with them .
If you have the problem again after checking the basics and decide to get the gun checked out, let us know. I'm curious.

"with limited shells availability"... same problem here. At one time a whole bunch of nice 1200/1250 #s 5 & 6 available all at a decent price. Try and find them today; just HV @ $$$$ because speed sells.

"I shot Federal #6 1300 fps or a bit higher ( not sure as it was not marked) and it jammed a couple of times".

Hmmm.... makes me think about the conversation I had with Browning rep when i got my OLD '61 Sweet. I was wondering about using those HVs in my old Lady. NOT that i thought It couldn't take it, its just that that HV stuff was not around in '61 and i wondered if it would make a difference. He answered my "philosophically"; why would you want to do that to "the old gal". It ain't necessary in hunting, it wasn't even around in '61, and you could be causing some additional wear on a gun that's 61 yrs old to begin with. Plus, not to mention the increased recoil factor & $$$ for the price of these new loads. I even checked with a few smith friends of mine. The Rep didn't say i couldn't use them. Was just questioning why. The smiths had no problem with that. All they would say as long as the springs/rings are set right, you should have no problem using HV.
I have read with great interest all those articles about speed kill & velocity, HV vs standard etc.etc. I didn't need them 40 yrs ago, i don't need them now. I'm sure others will chime in on how HV is the next best thing after whole wheat white bread. That's ok, shoot what you want.

NOW, makes me wonder about yours. Ever jam before? It happens just using these shells ? Gun clean ? Springs/rings right ? Was the rep onto something ? Is the gun telling you something ? Betcha it kicked like hell..... Bottom line from what i've been reading is you might want to use them at some point or just to see what they are all about or in special situations, but you wouldn't want to shoot a round of skeet with them .
If you have the problem again after checking the basics and decide to get the gun checked out, let us know. I'm curious.

"with limited shells availability"... same problem here. At one time a whole bunch of nice 1200/1250 #s 5 & 6 available all at a decent price. Try and find them today; just HV @ $$$$ because speed sells.
If you noticed, Hunthemup said he has a new A5. No rings or spring to adjust there.

OOPs my bad & showing my age. I am NOT familiar with the NEW A-5. Sorry for the diatribe. Hope you get to the bottom of your problem....

Beefyz- I am in your corner in thoughts.
No the jam only happened with the Feds. I have about a half of box left and I will given a try again down the road. Has not happened with other brands at 1295 fps or slightly below. The gun is fairly new taken it out about 8 times and throughly cleaned after every outing even though my gunsmith has told me its not necessary. Actual bird shooting doesn't take that many shots. I love the gun and I'm sure that the break in period is around the corner. I didn't feel the kicks as I was focused on the birds but come to think of it, my previous hunts with slower velocity shells felt real smooth. I shot those darn birds on those trips better but the dog work was awesome which helped.

Back