A little warning ... harvest time ... a little respect goes along ways

BRITTMAN

The combines are rolling across the upper midwest so I urge all hunters to show plenty of respect to these farmers ...

1) park well off the roads and be careful what approach you use ... give the equipment room

2) pull over when grain trucks are approaching you ... give them plenty of room to keep moving

3) really watch your dogs around these roads. keep them well away from the roads, these farmers are moving fast (some working fatigued) and may or may not see your friendly canine in time to stop

Great point! We sometimes lose focus and forget! Great post.

I would add don't bother them asking for permission to hunt. They are rolling and working well into the night, while things are good. They don't want to stop for, in their view, "a stupid hunter asking permission."........Bob

The combines are rolling across the upper midwest so I urge all hunters to show plenty of respect to these farmers ...

1) park well off the roads and be careful what approach you use ... give the equipment room

2) pull over when grain trucks are approaching you ... give them plenty of room to keep moving

3) really watch your dogs around these roads. keep them well away from the roads, these farmers are moving fast (some working fatigued) and may or may not see your friendly canine in time to stop

Myself, always pull to size of road and stop to let farmers pass in either direction. What is our hurry anyway... These guys are working long hard days give them any break they can get.

Never approach a farmer on or in machinery during harvest empty handed. Be surprised what a bottle of water, cup of coffee and a sack lunch does to improve relations with farmers that you want to hunt their land.

All good points! Excellent idea for a thread Brittman. Last year, on opening day, there were several cows out in the area I hunt. The farmer that I hunt on said he'd got a new shipment of cattle in and all of the traffic (hunters driving fast) had spooked the cattle. We thought we'd lend a hand and tried to help one of his hands "guide" one rogue cow back to the ranch. Instead, we ended up scaring it even more and caused some major problems. Be polite and considerate; if they're moving any livestock, just turn around and go the other way when possible.

I would add don't bother them asking for permission to hunt. They are rolling and working well into the night, while things are good. They don't want to stop for, in their view, "a stupid hunter asking permission."........Bob

Could not have said it better myself.

I am sure they are:

Tired, anxious, a little stressed the get done before the weather changes and probably wishing that had a chance to have a great-time too. Thanks for the tips.

All great ideas

Back