A little update ytd... (little pic heavy)

Shawk

...a few pics from this season. Hope everyone is doing well, getting their miles in and staying safe. :)

The bird numbers seem to be somewhere in the neighborhood of last year (certainly not up). Some of my better hunting areas seem to be down a tad but on the bright side I've seen a bird or two in places I haven't seen them around in quite a while. My average hunt has been around 6-10 miles of walking. I typically take on the bigger plots solo, turn a dog loose and go for a walk. My shortest hunt this season was around 20-30 minutes to limit... my 2nd shortest day with a limit took probably 60ish minutes in the field with most other hunts being half to full days. I've been skunked once this season on a 2-3 hour hunt... and my pup was skunked once once literally a week ago. Unfortunately we were in such heavy cover I never saw the guy/gal who did it, so it survived for another day to be found. :(

Our longest drive of the year produced the shortest time in the field...

First rooster point of the year (both dogs in the pic if you look hard enough)...

Last edited:
Rarity (for us any way)... 4 roosters in the pic if you look hard enough. We managed to take the one on left. I've shot doubles this year but if it's early in the day, I'll take just one... if the legs are tired and we've logged enough miles already, we'll take a crack at a 2nd.

Last trip out... just Chloe in this field... this was one of the best rooster finds of the year. Left her out 100ish yards on public which I'll rarely do with these spooky public birds. We were just about back to the vehicle when I saw she was getting birdy... have this one on video too. : )

Live in Rockford, Illinois and very interested in Iowa hunting next year. Will pay for a few days hunt for decent land with wild birds. Need some contacts and suggestions. Love those pictures as I have had a German Shorthair most of my life!! Thanks for any help. Steve

Great stuff - thanks for posting! Love the pics of resting dogs after a hunt too - such a nice feeling when you put your own feet up after a long and happy day and see some tired and satisfied dogs sleeping after doing what they were put on this earth to do!
-Dave

Thanks for the post, love the pictures!

Which kind/brand of dog boots are those? Have you been happy with them?

Live in Rockford, Illinois and very interested in Iowa hunting next year. Will pay for a few days hunt for decent land with wild birds. Need some contacts and suggestions. Love those pictures as I have had a German Shorthair most of my life!! Thanks for any help. Steve

You're welcome to send me a pm... :)

Thanks for the post, love the pictures!

Which kind/brand of dog boots are those? Have you been happy with them?

Someone here recommended these https://dogbooties.com/ . They've honestly been fantastic for what I wanted. Depending on the hunts, they'll typically last about 3-5 long days. Best wishes!

Back