A few pictures of this last season!! I can't wait until next!

Good mess of quail-so fun! I've been raised on quail hunting. Since we haven't had a good hatch since '17, I've been focusing on other upland opportunities. What state are you in-looks a little cold!?

Those pictures are awesome!

I’m also curious where those mixed bags of birds came from.

Our quail and pheasant hunting in Texas has been less than average the last few years. Now that I’m retired “have dogs will travel” has become my motto.

Nice quail mount too- the birds look great! I don’t know about the cat tails and quail… that’s the other reason why I was asking. Do the quail utilize cat tails in your neck of the woods? I know pheasant do this but never heard of quail using cat tails.

Looks like you find birds out west, if that is where you are and you have some good shooters. My father talked about seeing grambel quail in Arizona, but I am guessing you aren't there. Also curious about the cattails. As soon as our boots dry-out, we are looking forward to the next opener! Nice pics, maybe add a vague location (maybe just a state in your bio), you leave use to our imaginations, looking at your clothing logos and picture captions to decide what part of the country you are from, but that is fine too! Again, great pics, nice to see off season pics here.

We hunt pheasants, California quail and chukkar in eastern Oregon. Usually along the Snake or Malheur River. Lots of BLM property and lots of birds. Late in the season we often see coveys that are several hundred in size and IF you can keep up with them it will keep us busy all day. The pheasants are a side benefit but we do limit out when we shoot straight. The best chukkar hunting is along the Owyhee River and south of Juntura. It is huge country but lots of birds!!

Attachments

• Chukkar 2021.jpg
    Chukkar 2021.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 22
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 21
Are those Gambel's Quail on the mount? I remember seeing a number of those in Arizona many years ago.

No. Those are California Quail. I do plan on adding the rest of the North American quail to this mount though. I am going to try my hand at Mountain Quail this fall and then a trip south for the other three.

We hunt pheasants, California quail and chukkar in eastern Oregon. Usually along the Snake or Malheur River. Lots of BLM property and lots of birds. Late in the season we often see coveys that are several hundred in size and IF you can keep up with them it will keep us busy all day. The pheasants are a side benefit but we do limit out when we shoot straight. The best chukkar hunting is along the Owyhee River and south of Juntura. It is huge country but lots of birds!!
Thank you for letting us know the state you hunt in! I've already looked, and it's a little too far for me to hauling dogs to Oregon to bird hunt. You won't have to worry about any competition from me for Oregon upland birds.

I guess no rule here about not hotspotting! Too bad.

Hunted WA for 4 years saying the Snake and Malheur River is like saying eastern South Dakota. That is some big country out there. I miss it.

Back