A day I'll always remember

Dewey

This day will be remembered - both for myself and my lab, Ruby.

Some of you will recall that I've been dealing with health issues for a over a year / half. I went through chemo treatments last from Sept, 08 to Feb, 09. The chemo knocked the crap out of the form of luekemia that I had, but it also did a number on my bone marrow. From March through September, I went through blood and platelet transfusions almost on a weekly basis. In October, a unrelated match was found and I went to Mayo for a Bone Marrow Stem Cell Transplant.

Well, today is Day 63 post transplant and received the ok to go home for the weekend and even the ok to chase a bird if I used caution. How could anyone resist that opportunity?

My friend and I headed out this morning and ready to hunt at the 10 am bell. I noticed right away that walking in the field definitely was a lot different that the exercise walks I've taken in Rochester. I wasn't going to be able to bust up the heavy stuff, but if I took my time and let Ruby work I was doing fine. Seemed like a rather slow start, then realized that we were pushing some birds as the dogs started getting more and more excited. It didn't take long to find we were in the thick of them. There were plenty of wild birds that bailed, but there were just enough holding that we actually finished shooting at 11:15.

The other story is Ruby. She ruptured her CCL early last December. I originally had the new tightrope procedure done, but she never really recovered from this surgery. We finally opted to let our regular vet (he didn't do the tightrope) to go back in and take a look. He found a tear and then also did tie off the other side of the joint to create additional stability in the joint. What a difference that made. We spent plenty of time with rehab for her again and it really paid off. She really came on strong and really using the leg again.

So this was the first day Ruby got to hunt since early December last year. She did not lose a step. She did a fantastic job finding and retrieving birds. One of the birds I shot was not hit very hard. The bird managed to bury itself so deen in the weeds and snow, I thought we would not find it. Ruby never gave up. She finally went on point about 5 yards were the bird landed. I dug through the weeds and continued through the snow and finally found him buried.

Anyway, I'm not sure there's enough words to describe how I'm feeling tonight with the fact things are actually going well with the transplant, I was actually able to hunt and and seeing Ruby hunting again.

20096a.jpg

20092a.jpg

:thumbsup:Great to here from you again Dewey, glad you had a good time, seems we had some things in common the last year. My wife survived cancer at 39 years old. Almost one year C free so far, and I too had surgery on the dog. I tell ya it is definately nice to get out and enjoy the out doors isin't it? I have taken things for granted too long, Not anymore. Today I live life like it's my last day to hunt. And I seem willing to spend it with new people I just met, where I would not have done that before. Even if I don't shoot, it is still a breath of fresh air just having a dog out there and having fun. I wish you and Ruby many more days afield to enjoy yourselves. Congrats and good luck to you always. FCS:10sign::10sign::cheers:

Welcome back, it is very wonderful to see you and Ruby have made it back to good health. It is really going to be a grand Christmas for both of you. So here is wishing you and your family the Very Happiest Holiday Season.......Bob

Best comeback story of the year. Happy to see you and Ruby are both out there sharing days in the field.

Just GREAT! We are glad to have you back. It's a great thing to be able to get back to what you love to do and to share it with us. Love the pics. It don't get any better. Once again, congrats and glat to have you back. Happy Holidays.

Merry Christmas
Rod​

Dewey, Your story puts things in perspective for a lot of us. I ruptured a disk in early October, thus ruining my hunting season. I had to cancel my SD trip and decline an invite to Iowa. My friend, originally from Iowa, also had to cancel his trip. His 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia back in the spring. She had to go back into the hospital for treatments right before he was due to head to the family farm. Hearing of your fight and hers, makes me a bit ashamed at my whining over the back troubles. God bless and I wish for you and your family a Christmas you will remember. Also, many more seasons in teh field for you and Ruby.

Nice story/pics Dewey. I remembered your battle with Leukemia from the old site. Glad to see you're back in the saddle, so to speak. Here's wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and you and Ruby many years afield to come.

Walk Hard, Dewey. :cheers:

Incredible story Sir! It's great you and your dog are back in the field. To echo one of the other members, this story really puts things in perspective. I can only imagine the emotions you experienced before, during, and after this hunt. It kinda makes me choke up just typing about it.

I don't think that you need to describe how you feel Dewey - we ALL felt it come through in your story and in the pride in the faces of the two and four-legged hunters. If there is a single "hunting story" thread that I've read thisyear that brings together everything that matters about bird hunting - this is it. Thanks for sharing and all the best to you and Ruby (you couldn't pick a better name for your lab, by the way) for 2010!
Cheers,
-Croc

I don't think that you need to describe how you feel Dewey - we ALL felt it come through in your story and in the pride in the faces of the two and four-legged hunters. If there is a single "hunting story" thread that I've read thisyear that brings together everything that matters about bird hunting - this is it. Thanks for sharing and all the best to you and Ruby (you couldn't pick a better name for your lab, by the way) for 2010!
Cheers,
-Croc

I second that!!

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement.

When I was first told that I had no other choice and all the major risks that are involved in a transplant, it was a time of reflection and a lot of prayers for our family.

Many of you have reflected that we can't take any day for granted. Believe me, I've been so blessed that the transplant has been succussful so far and I've been given the opportunity to enjoy these days given to me.

Dewey

Last edited:
Dewey,
I am so glad that things worked out the way thay did, evidently the one who watches over us from above thought you were worth putting his healing hand on and we are all so glad. May you have many great hunts ahead and many dogs to love.
Jim

Back