9 month old

So, I took my 9 month old GSP hunting this weekend in NW Kansas. Didn’t expect much but thought she would be interested, run to dropped birds, etc. hunted with 2 other guys and one other (10 month old dog). She was not interested and in fact “skittish” in the aftermath of a bird getting up. She doesn’t seem gun shy (I had worked the day before with her running around and me shooting away from her with a 20 gauge. It’s not the shooting it’s the commotion. Should I be worried? I kind of think she just needs to go more, and gain some confidence and maturity. I was nothing but just encouraging. Thoughts?

In my humble opinion you need to take a step or ten back. You be to build confidence with your dog. Hunt her solo no other dogs. And either alone or you handle the dog and one other person (the shooter). At nine months it should be all fun let her learn to enjoy the outings with out the stress of multiple shooters dogs etc. one day prior to hunting shooting a twenty gauge does not ensure a barrage with a group (even a small one) will not create a gun shy dog.

It is really hard to give an opinion without knowing the personality of the dog and what level of effort/ training you have done previously. Gun conditioning and prey drive is a process, not an event the day before you take her hunting. Personally I would not put her in that situation again until she has had some opportunities and exposure in a low stress situation. Doing so may create problems that are hard to fix.

I don't want to be mean but you pretty much did everything wrong. First off I don't hunt dogs that young as there are way to many opportunities for things to go wrong and you will own these issues for years to come if not forever.

Can you learn to swim if you get thrown in the lake? Sure, but you aren't likely to love swimming, or be very good at it.

All dogs have different personalities, and ability to handle stress so I am not going to get real specific.
Put on the brakes now, do proper bird/gun intro then hunt her by herself in a controlled environment.

Hunt her solo no other dogs.
The first time I took my 10 year old labrador hunting was with 3 other dogs at 8 months of age. She thought it was a big game of play time. Even though I had sent her to 2 week obedience/bird/gun training, the group setting with other dogs really distracted her.

So a week later, I took her to a game farm with a friend. No other dogs. She figured out what we were looking for during that training session and only improved thereafter.

Young dogs are like little kids. They have a very short attention span and too much energy. Make sure there is a lot of action to ease that lack of attention and there is a lot of movement to ease that energy.

So far everyone above is 100% correct! Back off some. Do not rush her. Your pup was confused. Pen raised birds; leisure runs, patience, lots of affection, easy with the corrections. Don't expect a lot from a pup and you won't be disappointed. A skidish or even somewhat shy dog, trained correctly will become an easy handled, sometimes close working dog, usually with a strong desire to please only you!

Back