870 Wingmaster

PTM

My nephew recently came along for a hunting trip in ND. He is getting his hunter safety in AZ. My co-worker was selling an early 70's 870 wing master, I decided it would be a good gun for my nephew and picked it up for 225.00 bucks, it seemed like an ok deal but I haven't priced them out. Anybody know what a good used one is worth. This one only takes 2/34 inch shells and is in 12 gauge with a 28 inch barrel with a fixed modified choke. He is the young man by the dog in cammi, I figured it might be a good first gun since he is starting out a little later.

0322151617_zpss51bmsza.jpg

xmas_zpsf425bb1b.png

Sounds like a good deal to me, doing a quick search I didn't see much under $400.

OT but is that a field spaniel or a Boykin in that pic and how did it do as a bird dog?

If it is in good or better condition, which it looks like it is, you got a great deal and your nephew is getting a great gun.

heck yes... those 70s model are some of the best ones, that would bring 400 bucks here

perfect gun for a kid or anyone for that matter

I've gotten rid of 2 870's in the last 10 years. If you want to get your money out if that one , let me know, I'll buy it.

You got it for around half price. You can also order a different barrel to take choke tubes, if so desired in the future. That will give it more versatility, perhaps, if your nephews interest grows in bird hunting different species.

Sounds like a good deal to me, doing a quick search I didn't see much under $400.

OT but is that a field spaniel or a Boykin in that pic and how did it do as a bird dog?

Boykin's, two new ones. They are doing pretty good, his last Boykin was as good as any dog I've hunted behind, He got busy with work and I think they need to get on some more birds but I'm sure they'll be hell on wheels in two years. I think they are a little smaller than your Springers and seem to have big motors like your dogs. Its fun to watch them work.

To everyone else thanks for the info, my nephew comes out in the summer to help with my Dad's business and I promised to bring the clay pigeon thrower over. Hopefully the gun fits him well enough to bust some clays and then some Phez in the fall. My sister is divorced and he hasn't had many outdoor opportunities so hopefully we can make him a bird junky as well.

"This one only takes 2/34 inch shells and is in 12 gauge with a 28 inch barrel with a fixed modified choke. "

Sounds just like the one I bought at K-Mart in Rapid City South Dakota in 1977--for $219.00--good to see they hold value. Mine now belongs to my son.

Man I sure killed a lot of birds with that gun, it was my first--open choke gun--- lots of memories there and I hope it's the start of lots of memories for him. :thumbsup::D

All great responses and obviously you scored a very nice Wingmaster. He will never need another shotgun...but we all know how that goes!

I think that is a great deal. My first new gun was an 870 wingmaster bought in 1982, still have it and it has had several thousand rounds thru it and still going strong. I have 4 870's now two express's (12 & 20) and two wingmasters in 12 and 20. 20 wingmaster has never been fired. Your nephew will get lots of years out of that gun.:10sign:

I paid that price for a used one 25 years ago and have killed hundreds of birds with it. The older wingmasters actions are smooth. Who cares if it's a little worn. It's a tool and a few scratches show it's been used. Keep it clean and it will go forever.

Back