870 bolt issues

Goosemaster

I have an 870 that I've fired several thousand rounds through.Now, the bolt won't lock in place when it's all the way back.Gunsmith says the forks are bent, would cost hundreds to fix it. Any comments?

My comments:

1. There is nothing on an 870 called the "forks". There are action bars and an action bar lock spring that are involved in the bolt locking up when the gun is brought into battery.

2. If the action bars are bent, they should be able to be straightened. If not, an entire forend tube with action bars can be purchased from Numrich for $38-51. If the action bar lock spring is bent, it can be purchased for about $9.

3. There is nothing on an 870 that should cost hundreds to fix. An 870 is a very simple, robust design. The entire gun is only worth "hundreds".

4. If you are handy, you can fix or replace the parts yourself. If you are not confident in doing so, I am fairly certain that I could fix your gun for less than "hundreds".

I would find another gunsmith that knows gun parts by their proper name and is willing to fix your gun for a reasonable cost.

Thanks, I guess I should take it to another guy.This guy was a young guy, and more of a rifle guy I think.He took it apart, and said he could not fix it. When you pull hard on the forend, it moves the bolt, and that's dangerous.Its an 870 sp. made in the late eighties.Im not confident working on guns,but thanks for the info.I guess I'll get a second opinion.Its one of my favorite guns, but a goose gun takes a lot of abuse.

Back