#7 steel shot

calamari

This year non-toxic shot will be required for all hunting on the Calif. state wildlife areas. I've found a few boxes of #7 steel shot to use for doves. Has anyone shot small birds like doves or quail with #7 steel? I've shot mallards with #6 steel but man it was a very narrow and pretty close effective band of lethality for 6s in my experience. It doesn't take much for a dove but #7 steel isn't much and loses velocity very quickly.

I used #7 steel in Iowa last year for doves and it worked really well. I normally don't shoot Winchesters but their dove load was good.

I use a lot of non toxic loads here in SE Iowa. Many areas require it and I am happy to oblige. Initially I was hesitant, I have found that 7 steel is very effective on dove, quail and 6 and 7 will bring down a rooster with no problem. Range is a factor, we all know nothing beats lead, but even lead has a range...As stated previously, Winchester isn't normally my "go to" brand, the steel loads, however, I have been very pleased with.. Good hunting...

Two things. First, thanks for the info. I'll use them with confidence on small birds and maybe as swatter loads when I use the 20 ga. for ducks.
The other thing though is, how did you two know I bought Winchester loads? Are #7 steel loads only available in Winchester or...? You two are starting to scare me.:)

Have used Winchester Expert #7 shot for years on quail where I had to. Never again. I have no confidence with them. Will only use #6 steel shot. Not sure why; average takes a nosedive with them.

I'd use the #7 on doves.

I am looking to upgrade shells. A good steel shot for both quail and pheasant.

Use Prairie Storm #6 where I can use lead.

Use Prairie Storm #6 where I can use lead.

Everybody has a favorite pheasant load. For lead, I like #6 nickel plated Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in the first barrel and some old Winchester #4 Mark 5s in the second. I've got 9 boxes of those #4s to shoot up so...
I'll report back about my experience with #7 steel after dove season...if I can remember.

We have to use steel for doves on state land here.

If your the kind of guy that only takes close shots you'll be fine.

If you like to shoot over 40 yards you're going to knock feathers off birds that keep flying.

I'd use 6's.

Cal, I know that you know, doves aren't the hardest winged critter around to drop. Feathers are so thin, you got feathers, you pretty much got a downed bird. Your 7 steel are going to be OK. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure I can see a dove 40 yd.s away so the few I get a chance at will be closer.:laugh:

Lol.:cheers: I know its a long drive for doves but you're always welcome with me Cal. Last years opening day was wild! It was fun watching some of the misses going on in the group.:D

Thank you very much for the invite Robert, but you guessed correctly about it being too far. I'll just muddle around some of the local wildlife areas and try to avoid being shot or shooting anyone. That's harder than hitting the birds.:cheers:

As far as i know it only applies to shooting animals but that means all animals everywhere in Calif. Game, non-game alike. I don't know if it would apply to shooting grasshoppers with a smooth bore .22 so I'm keeping that in my back pocket as a fall back position. Don't laugh. It looks sporty and hard and they still make smooth bore .22s and shot ammo for the gun.
It phases in till 2019 as I recall with it being a requirement for all hunting on state wildlife areas this year.
Here's the web site for info. and everyone should inform themselves and not depend on other peoples opinion. I think they're trying to phase it in over time so people can get used to the idea and manufacturers can change to meet the need. Over time it will be required in many more states based on how it works out here.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/lead-free/

Last edited:
Federal makes a #7 swatter load in steel its hard to find em in 2 3/4 I mostly see em in 3 in I used them for ruffed grouse in MN last year they work but ruffed grouse are about as tuff to kill as a Bob White...

Seen kent has them also... Maybe fiocci that Scott linden guy always pumping them on his wing shooting USA show

calamari,
The Federal #7's in steel can be found at Ammoseek.com. These work pretty good on dove. I will have to wait on results for quail. As we are both in Ca., we just have to do what we have to do. This past week-end during dove shooting, I used 20ga and 12ga in different area's.Mostly shot 7.5 lead, but, tried some steel 6's in 20ga[Fed]. These worked better than I expected. The Fed #7's in steel worked great also. With the #7 steel tho, I tried to keep my shots closer. Hope this helps. Happy Labor Day.
Cabela's also has Herter's 12ga, 2.75" steel 7's.

Last edited:
Calamari -- When dove shooting and shots are inside of 40 yards, I prefer the No. 7 steel pellet. Dove are pretty fragile (when you put the pellets on the front end) and the No. 7 steel pellets help to maintain good pattern density and they seem to have enough energy for dove out to about 40 yards. However, if my shots were getting out around or past 40 yards, the No. 6 steel pellet would probably be a better choice since it provides a little more down-range pellet energy.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of the kind of performance I get from Win Xpert steel load.

Pattern results from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

30 YARDS / Xpert Steel 3/4 oz #7 steel (327 pellets) / pattern SK / 221 (68%)
30 YARDS / Xpert Steel 3/4 oz #6 steel (231 pellets) / pattern IC / 181 (78%)

40 YARDS / Xpert Steel 3/4 oz #7 steel (327 pellets) / pattern IM / 197 (60%)
40 YARDS / Xpert Steel 3/4 oz #6 steel (231 pellets) / pattern F / 165 (71%)

For bobwhite quail shooting, my preference is for the No. 6 steel pellet. Yes, a No. 7 steel pellet can kill them if they are close, but they don't always hold until you kick'em up. And, since most shots are at going-away angles the larger pellet provides more pellet energy and better penetration for those angles. When hunting over good pointing dogs I would normally use a CYL/M choke combo but if they are flushing wild I would go to a SK/IM or IC/F choke combo.

Pattern results from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 YARDS / Xpert Steel 3/4 oz #6 steel (231 pellets) / CYL / pattern 200 (86%)
30 YARDS / Xpert Steel 3/4 oz #6 steel (231 pellets) / M / pattern 204 (88%)

30 YARDS / Xpert Steel 3/4 oz #6 steel (231 pellets) / SK / pattern 173 (75%)
40 YARDS / Xpert Steel 3/4 oz #6 steel (231 pellets) / IM / pattern 155 (67%)

30 YARDS / Xpert Steel 3/4 oz #6 steel (231 pellets) / IC / pattern 181 (78%)
40 YARDS / Xpert Steel 3/4 oz #6 steel (231 pellets) / F / pattern 165 (71%)

For large upland birds like pheasant and grouse, larger steel sizes like No. 3s or No. 2s are proven performers. With big birds and the possibility of longer shots, I prefer these larger steel pellets as long as they are choked to maintain good pattern density for the distance used. That said, the #4 steel pellet would be a compromise quail/pheasant pellet.

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL MAGNUM LOAD
1 oz #4 steel (191 pellets) @ 1,330 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 134 (70%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 147 (77%)

20 GA 3" WINCHESTER DRYLOK STEEL LOAD
1 oz #3 steel (145 pellets) @ 1,330 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 114 (78%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 106 (73%)

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL LOAD
1 oz #2 steel (118 pellets) @ 1,330 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 101 (86%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 99 (84%)

Using a 12ga would help all of the above pattern numbers, but I prefer to use my 20ga for upland hunting.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Last edited:
Back