5 shot?

RedRinger

Saw lots of hens and only one roosters while out in LQP county last weekend. Rooster was tiny, but it works. Going to head back out there tomorrow afternoon/evening hoping for some more.

Quick question from a new-to-the-Midwest guy... I'm used to hunting stocked birds, and with a 20ga, 6 shot has been a standard go-to... do a lot of you use 5 shot out here? Typically the birds seem to be pretty big and I'm wondering if 5 shot may have more 'knock down' power... thoughts?

I love #5's for wild Roosters myself. It's my favorite load for my 12ga O/U

#5's are the way to go on wild birds. Good clean kills.
Do have to say I adjust my chokes for wild birds. Early in the season I use a skeet choke in the bottom barrel and an improved cylinder in the top for those nice tight flushes. As the birds get wiser and flush farther out I tighten my chokes. Never have gotten past a light modified in the top barrel and that was for a very late season hunt in South Dakota.

#5's are great for wild birds. They well for work for early and late season birds, though in the latter season I usually back #5's up with #4's.;)

p.s.--glad to hear about all those hen's!! Good luck on roosters.

Size of shot...

I shoot a 20 ga. also...improved cyl. Much depends on long shots vs short. A #5 shell has fewer pellets than 6 or 7.5. If you shoot over a close working dog - 7.5 works fine - far more pellets than a 5 and perhaps better pattern.

Last year I shot 3" Magnum 6 in SD and they worked great. More pellets that standard 6's...

Good luck

# 5 or 6 in a Federal premium 1,500 FPS pheasants forever load. 1 1/4 oz, 2 3/4 inch. You will not find a better load on the plannet.....

Yea and you find them at walley world for dang near free at the end of the season and buy them by the pallet. I'd like them too at the price you get them at.

Am wondering what is "dang near free." And where is Wally World? Sounds like a theme park...

Back