5 Male Vizsla puppies. Idaho

Idaho

I have 5 AKC male vizsla puppies who will be ready 9/11/11. We have two males that are solid vizsla colors and three with some white on the chest. They have had their dew claws removed and tales docked. They haven't been vaccinated because the mother is disease free as are the puppies. They are all on a raw meat diet. There will be no health issues with these puppies.

I know some people do not understand raw feeding or support it but it is the only way to go if you want to protect your hunting partner from the diseases that destroy so many cherished but vaccinated dogs.

We are asking $800 each and $300 to reserve your pick.

Please call or text David at 208-741-0759 or comment here.

Pedigree of the parents may help.

Yeah, it might. These puppies are not coming from field trial dogs, just local Idaho vizsla lines. No awards or sweet blood lines.

I doubt it matters, but my vizsla will perform better in the field here in Idaho than any high dollar pointer or retriever. I don't take her to the duck blind but if it I did she would be so much better than the $2,000 labs I have had the misfortune of hunting with. That doesn't include the $2,500 in training for those labs.

Gracie is member of the family and spoiled rotten, no kennel. There is no doubt in my mind that a kennel will destroy a vizsla. In the field, Gracie is all business. Pheasants are not everywhere here in Idaho and it takes a lot of hunting to get a limit. Gracie and I get more wild pheasants a year than most. LOL, one of the members here hooked up with me on a hunt to see if I was full of it. He called after I had already hunted for two hours with a friend. I went a head and met him and told him I was one away from a limit and the first thing he did was check my birds to see if they were indeed wild birds. They were wild and mature.

It's not because I'm such a great trainer and hunter it's because I take Gracie out at least every other day for about 5 months.

Some may argue it is all about the Pedigree but I will say it is all about the person who owns the dog. A top pedigree vizsla that lives in a kennel isn't going to be anything special. A top pedigree vizsla that lives with the family but only hunts twice a month isn't going to be anything special.

Neither parent is skinny show style dogs. They are both thicker dogs full of muscle from hardcore chukar and pheasant hunting.

I'm hoping to reach others in Idaho. There are not a lot of vizslas here, mostly labs and I would like to get $800 but may settle for $600 being that they are all males.

They are registered so there is no mistaking they are pure breeds, not much more reason than that.

Maybe that helps but maybe not.

I fully understand all your arguments about pedigree, etc. And maybe I'm out of the loop on what Vizsla puppies sell for. But for a dog without a proven pedigree, isn't $800 a little on the steep side? Please don't take offense to this post, I am merely asking the question.

I fully understand all your arguments about pedigree, etc. And maybe I'm out of the loop on what Vizsla puppies sell for. But for a dog without a proven pedigree, isn't $800 a little on the steep side? Please don't take offense to this post, I am merely asking the question.

No not offended at all. Its good discussion material that leads to different beliefs and opinions that are good for keeping well rounded.

It is a little high, but there are not a lot of vizsla in Idaho so it tends to boil down to buying one for $600 witch is the going rate or buying one for $1200 and having it shipped from another state. The economy stinks right now too, which isn't helping.

When it comes to pedigrees there are the pictures which for all practical purposes are as good or better than a on paper blood line. Sure if they want to breed they should stick with the blood line because that's how the value is placed on dogs. Its like the value of gold, it's only worth what a person can be convinced it is worth. You can't eat gold, you can't make tools out of gold, it's mostly just for looking at and so is a pedigree. Gold might make good bird shot.

My dogs are fed only raw meat and bones and will outlast and out live any dog raised on corn barring any unforeseen accidents which would destroy us. Of course vizslas are not known for health issues in the first place so it is a bit of an overkill. Nonetheless for $800 you get a puppy with a full immune system, something you don't get with other dogs that require vaccines and it might surprise people to learn how many Parvo vaccinated dogs get Parvo.

I will probably end up selling them for $600 but I'm hoping there will be some people in Idaho who appreciate the value a dog that has been VERY well taken care of and with all there mental faculties in check.

There are a lot of Adopt a Vizsla programs out there because the dogs are kenneled and become deranged. Our dogs are mentally intact carnivores that have a family pack just about 24/7 to help maintain sanity. I'm hoping to weed out the less desirable dog buyers with the prices as well.

Who knows, I might end up giving half away and keeping the other half in this economy.

Last edited:
There are a lot of Adopt a Vizsla programs out there because the dogs are kenneled and become deranged.

I get what you are saying but this is untrue. As someone who is a part of the "Adopt a Vizsla" program, and someone who get's calls from people to come get their dog, and as someone who fosters dogs, I can tell you this. Most dogs come in because people don't understand the energy levels of the dogs and don't take the time to properly exercise their dog and wonder why their dog is acting out. In fact, I haven't seen a deranged dog yet.

I understand vizslas having to be a part of the family, mine are. I have six dogs in the house, three are dogs I'm fostering. All sleep in bed with me (Other then one, who is too fat to jump up on the bed, but I've take weight off of her... And am trying like hell to get her exercised more..)

I agree with the fact that a pedigree is just that... A pedigree. But they are important because they can tell you what is behind the dog and what that dog has. It gives you a starting point. I've seen a lot of vizslas that wouldn't know a bird if it kicked him. Unfortunately, some vizslas are bred for show, others, by people who don't know what they are doing, or are out to make a quick buck. (Not saying that's how these are bred, so please don't take that the wrong way.) I'm just saying that yes, while a pedigree is just a piece of paper, it does have some value in possibly evaluating potential.

As far as the price, I've seen dogs go for 1200 or better. I was once offered a dog for the price of 1500 at one time. The pup I have now, her littermates went for 1200. (That's not what I paid, but...) I guess price is a matter of getting what you can get.

Regardless, Idaho seems like he has the best interests of his dogs and the pups at heart, and I think that's all that matters in the end. And, one more thing. I am in total agreement with Idaho in stating that vizslas do best when a part of the family and living in the house like a member of the family.

Last edited:
I can see a lot of people buying vizslas who do not have the time to spend with activities being the main reason for adoption. I'm sure there are more vizslas being purchased for pets than for hunting dogs which is kind of a shame. I blame that on irresponsible breeders, the ones trying to make the quick buck as you said.

However, I have never seen a kenneled vizsla that wasn't more or less goofy and even mean. We rescued one, not from an adoption system but from a Les Schwab tire store employee who saw us with Gracie. The dog was totally nuts and skinny as can be. We took him home and fed him raw meat, trained him to be a good pet instead of hunting because he was gun shy and we found him a good home with a same sex, but very active couple in Sun Valley. Pip, the dog seemed pretty gay to me anyways. They were like three peas in a pod, but they knew vizslas already, they had just lost their's to old age.

When we were in Sun Valley, we saw people walking their vizslas on leashes with heavy harnesses to hold them from taking off. They asked me how I could leave Gracie off a leash while walking through downtown Ketchum or Sun Valley. I told them I trained her. I think too many people get dogs and think they are suppose to be naturally well behaved.

I read Merle's Door. A great book but still a little to much on the commercial side of dog training or theory for me. Dogs need to be able to express themselves but they have to have boundaries. In the wild they learn lots of things they should not do and they cope will with those boundaries.

I'm sure lots of members here kennel their dogs. It's a trade off. For the sake of convenience year around, they lose out on the joy of having a dog that hunts to please their master to a dog that hunts to please himself because it is the only time it gets to do something other than pace in a kennel.

Vizslas are great dogs that need lots of activities and training, otherwise one should stick with a basset hound or a lab or a basset hound lab mix! LOL Call it a Bassador or Basselador!

Maybe there are not so many people in Idaho on this forum. The sad reality of it is I wanted to keep a female and we only got one female and it goes to the owner of the sire. I don't really want a male. We plan on getting Gracie spayed so we will have to buy female from someone else. It would be nice to get $800 because it might cost me $1200 to get a female in the next year or two.

All of my dogs are kenneled. They all grow up in the house, ride in my vehicles, interact with other people as they grow up but eventually they become adults and are kenneled. My Vizsla is no different than my field trial bred labs. He grew up in the house, rode in my vehicles with me, both in the front and in the crate, and still does. He is not deranged, mean nor does he exhibit any bad traits. None of my dogs are or do.

The key to kenneling dogs is not leaving them in the kennel with no interaction, ever, even as pups. My dogs are let out to exercise at least twice a day, interact with the other dogs while out, interact with my family while out of their kennels as well. I don't care what breed of dog you have, if left in a kennel in solitary confinement they all will become unsocialized dogs who sometimes can be mean but more often than not very shy which can, to some lead to being mean but only because they feel threatened by almost anything. A vizsla is no more in need of human interaction and exercise than any other dog. ALL dogs need interaction. As a matter of fact my Vizsla doesn't run as much as my lab does.

I see so many dog owners who think that kenneling a dog is such a bad thing. When in all actuality it is not a bad thing at all. My kennels are my dogs domain, a place they feel safe and comfortable. When my Vizsla is done running( or usually hunting field mice while the labs run around carrying stuff in their mouths) he goes back into his kennel on his own and lays down and waits on his breakfast or dinner whichever time of day it may be. It's my oldest lab that I can't get to go back to the kennel, of course she is the queen and thinks the world revolves around her (which in reality it does).

Just an opinion and observation. Nothing more nothing less.

I have to duckn66, it's not bad to kennel, you just have to make sure they get some exercise and some interaction. My dad's Viszla's never had a problem, my sister's GSP on the other hand is a different story... In my experience the Viszla's have been a more mellow breed the a GSP, and when they're not in the field they are content to be lazy. I dunno, maybe we just have lazy dogs and the rest of the world has normal versions.

Pip, the dog seemed pretty gay to me anyways. They were like three peas in a pod

Ha, ha. ROFLMAO! The guys I work with are all looking around trying to figure out what is so funny right now:D

About the papers, I've never been too concerned with them either. I try to buy pups from dogs I've hunted behind. I'm never in the market for field trial dogs anyway. In fact, since I've never owned a Vizsla, I'm really leaning toward getting one the next time I get a bird dog. Remember, bird dogs are like women, it's best to try one of every kind:rolleyes: I probably wouldn't be willing to pay $800 for a dog, but I certainly understand your desire to weed out undesirable owners.

Last edited:
Ha, ha. ROFLMAO! The guys I work with are all looking around trying to figure out what is so funny right now:D

About the papers, I've never been too concerned with them either. I try to buy pups from dogs I've hunted behind. I'm never in the market for field trial dogs anyway. In fact, since I've never owned a Vizsla, I'm really leaning toward getting one the next time I get a bird dog. Remember, bird dogs are like women, it's best to try one of every kind:rolleyes: I probably wouldn't be willing to pay $800 for a dog, but I certainly understand your desire to weed out undesirable owners.

and sometimes, quite the opposite happens, you price your pups out of reach of a dedicated hunter that would be a great match for the pup. if they were mine, i would drop the price and request the prospective owner produce a current hunting license and some hunting knowledge, with an understanding of the living conditions for the breed and if the prospective owner had any experience with field dogs or if he planned to bring the pup up in a NAVHDA environment....otherwise the pup will never reach it's potential, which i would think was the intent when the thought to breed was initiated......rather than how much can we make per pup.

also raw does not appeal to everyone, it has it's followers, but i have owned many bird dogs and vaccinations were never a factor and provided real peace of mind for me......good luck on placing the pups in hunting families.

MALE Viszla stud in idaho

Im having the hardest time to find other viszla owners I have an AKC female would love another but didn't think it would be this hard to find a male if anyone is interested a pup or stud fee please call 208-602-8256 for Heather

NOT A BREEDER JUST LOVE THE BREED AND WANT ANOTHER. :)

Back